Acclimation Box Ideas

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a real hard time justifying paying $50 to $100 just to buy a plastic box with slits in the side!! I can understand power equipment prices sometimes being high... but come on, a freakin' acrylic box!

What are some other ideas that can be used as an acclimation box for fish...up to the size of a small Yellow Eye Kole tang (eventual fish down the road)? Pics would be great!!

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! & far too stressful (small) in my OP. Better yet is to section off a portion of the tank with egg crate. Anyway to have as much room as possible.
I aqua scape as such to move a rock or 2 so I can fit egg crate front to back about 1/3 of the tank.

Last edited:

Saveafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't laugh. I use a cruddy old CPR refuge I got used on ebay for 15$. Use a valve to slow the flow rate down. I put it in the tank instead of on the out side.

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! & far too stressful (small) in my OP. Better yet is to section off a portion of the tank with egg crate. Anyway to have as much room as possible.
I aqua scape as such to move a rock or 2 so I can fit egg crate front to back about 1/3 of the tank.
I like this idea... I'll have to see if i can arrange a space though. I only have a 75g, so space is a premium.

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't laugh. I use a cruddy old CPR refuge I got used on ebay for 15$. Use a valve to slow the flow rate down. I put it in the tank instead of on the out side.
That's really a good idea and use of another "tank" to solve the problem. I only have a 75g, so I'm having a hard time seeing how something large will fit in there!

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use a pet critter carrier, ones that are used for hermit crabs, gerbils, hamsters...etc.

I usually just stack a rock on top of the carrier to keep it from floating away.

I get it from Amazon for $5-15 , depending on size.

I’ve used the same as well. Petco/Petsmart usually have a variety of sizes to pick from.

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a pet critter carrier, ones that are used for hermit crabs, gerbils, hamsters...etc.

I usually just stack a rock on top of the carrier to keep it from floating away.

I get it from Amazon for $5-15 , depending on size.
Do you have to cut extra slits in the sides to allow more water flow through the box? Those come in many sizes... might be a good option for my setup.

YellowFinsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have to cut extra slits in the sides to allow more water flow through the box? Those come in many sizes... might be a good option for my setup.

Nah, i just put water in the carrier and put the fish in there and close the lid. I siphon out the debris after a few days to keep it clean

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I didn’t. I was using it in a bare bottom QT tank and I just sank it with on of the ends down so the top with all the slits was essentially on a side. Kind of annoying to pull up to feed the inhabitants but it worked.

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t. I was using it in a bare bottom QT tank and I just sank it with on of the ends down so the top with all the slits was essentially on a side. Kind of annoying to pull up to feed the inhabitants but it worked.
I have a dremel tool. I wonder if the acrylic would hold up if I cut a few slits in the sides? They aren't expensive... maybe I'll give it a try with a small carrier to see if it will work.

YellowFinsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an example i have. They're in a growout tank hence the pretty hair algae.
20181209_221656.jpg

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that price is an issue, but if you want something that will last and look good, look at octo aquatics.
@cromag27
Oh yes, I've seen his work... very nice! Just trying to stay a little lower in price, lol. He made me a filter sock holder that works great! Also, trying to see some other inventive ideas people have come up with for boxes.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made my own out of a few bits of acrylic and eggcrate. Most of the commercial options were too small; and why buy what is easily made. The only design flaw was that really small fish just swim out through the ends (so I put on some mesh).

IMG_0862.JPG

IMG_0864.JPG

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made my own out of a few bits of acrylic and eggcrate. Most of the commercial options were too small; and why buy what is easily made. The only design flaw was that really small fish just swim out through the ends (so I put on some mesh).

That looks really nice! How did you connect the acrylic piece to the egg-crate? Also, how did you suspend it or attach it to your glass?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used the thickened acrylic solvent/cement. There’s very little pressure on the box seams anyhow so it’s held fine. Top flat pieces on the top extend beyond the length of the box and they still just sit on the tank cross braces. I like the resident fish to be able to swim around the box so they better ‘interact’ with the newbies. Box is big enough to accommodate 4 medium fish as you can see in the picture with the pyramid butterfly. I figure if a fish is too big for the box, it’s too big to be bullied; so my Naso tangs just went right in.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back