Acclimation help: First time dealing with shipped fish,

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked with my LFS to order some Yasha gobies. I was able to pick it up straight from them in order to prevent multiple acclimations today but that also means I need to move them from their 1.02 to 1.024 specific gravity.
I am just adding like 20 milliliters like every 5 minutes right now.
I don't know if this will be fast enough though since he has been in this water for about a day now and I am worried it could be fowl already.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I worked with my LFS to order some Yasha gobies. I was able to pick it up straight from them in order to prevent multiple acclimations today but that also means I need to move them from their 1.02 to 1.024 specific gravity.
I am just adding like 20 milliliters like every 5 minutes right now.
I don't know if this will be fast enough though since he has been in this water for about a day now and I am worried it could be fowl already.
Did the company or the LFS give you any instructions - if so - I would follow them. I think you might be overly cautious. And yes - if you're not measuring ammonia, etc in whatever bucket you have - you could have a problem

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS its impossible to know what to recommend because we don't know the volumes you're using - if its 20 cc/100 thats different than 20cc/1000

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the company or the LFS give you any instructions - if so - I would follow them. I think you might be overly cautious. And yes - if you're not measuring ammonia, etc in whatever bucket you have - you could have a problem
This is what they told me to do. Just float the bag and add water until I have replaced about half of it and said I could take a few hours but they also didn't guarantee the fish in anyway.

I have the red sea ammonia test it takes 15 minutes but i'll start it up

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So these are going directly to your display? Any time I've done this I have a qt set up and adjust the water to whats in their bag. Then temp acclimate, dump them into a net or with something that will drain all bag water and add to qt. Any idea how far they travelled to get here? Ammonia build up in the bag could be more detrimental then the osmotic difference of .04. Dont quote me on that just a guess.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So these are going directly to your display? Any time I've done this I have a qt set up and adjust the water to whats in their bag. Then temp acclimate, dump them into a net or with something that will drain all bag water and add to qt. Any idea how far they travelled to get here? Ammonia build up in the bag could be more detrimental then the osmotic difference of .04. Dont quote me on that just a guess.
This is correct - which is why I asked - what were the senders acclimation procedure. The ammonia issue is certainly extremely important!

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a QT with a couple of green banded gobies I got last week in it right now. The new fish seems perfectly fine and my ammonia test, also seems fine, great even. I should have just started the right when I got him here.. thx @MnFish1.

I'll continue to take my time since the test and fish look fine.

Apparently the Yasha only came from California too

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is a QT with a couple of green banded gobies I got last week in it right now. The new fish seems perfectly fine and my ammonia test, also seems fine, great even. I should have just started the right when I got him here.. thx @MnFish1.

I would think you could adjust the salinity over the next couple hours and put it into whatever permanent home. PS - I will say - FYI - if you're medicating - the addition of the new fish means that your green banded gobies need to re-start their quarantine time as well

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS - I will say - FYI - if you're medicating - the addition of the new fish means that your green banded gobies need to re-start their quarantine time as well
Yes, ty! I have only been observing the green banded and am restarting the observation period now. I do plan to just prazipro the water but I have Fritz General Cure for food soaking and copper ready for other symptoms.

First I just want to let all the fish get comfy and eating hopefully.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bag ammonia?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m
not keen on the instructions from company
Float yes about 2o mins to adjust temperature and add water to contents in a clean bucket until salinity matches that of the intended tank fish is going into

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m

not keen on the instructions from company
Float yes about 2o mins to adjust temperature and add water to contents in a clean bucket until salinity matches that of the intended tank fish is going into
That should have been the instructions from the company:) i.e. it shouldn't be a 24 hour procedure.

ReeferFive-0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I have done with good success when getting fish shipped. I dump out half of the water it was shipped in. I then add a few ounces of tank water every 10 minutes for about an hour. I then dump out at least half of the water and continue to add a few ounces of tank water every 10 minutes for another hour. After this 2 hour acclimation, I net the fish out and put it in the aquarium. Then I top off tank with mixed saltwater after the acclimation.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what they told me to do. Just float the bag and add water until I have replaced about half of it and said I could take a few hours but they also didn't guarantee the fish in anyway.

I have the red sea ammonia test it takes 15 minutes but i'll start it up
For long acclimations, you need to lightly aerate the water. They are shipped in oxygen, but when you open the bag, that is replaced with regular air.

Here is my article on acclimation (for next time):

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Bag ammonia?
Yes, it exists. Fish in shipped bags produce carbon dioxide and ammonia. The carbon dioxide lowers the pH of the water in the bag which in turn makes the ammonia toxic to the fish. When you acclimate them, if not done just right, you drive off the carbon dioxide faster than you are diluting the ammonia. That raises the pH of the water in the bag, and in turn will make the residual ammonia very toxic to the fish and in some cases the fish will die right in the bag

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it exists. Fish in shipped bags produce carbon dioxide and ammonia. The carbon dioxide lowers the pH of the water in the bag which in turn makes the ammonia toxic to the fish. When you acclimate them, if not done just right, you drive off the carbon dioxide faster than you are diluting the ammonia. That raises the pH of the water in the bag, and in turn will make the residual ammonia very toxic to the fish and in some cases the fish will die right in the bag
Right. That was my concern. I was asking op if they tested the bag ammonia. I have dealt with boxes of trans shipped fish at the lfs. Typically we'd temp acclimate bags and then test SG of bag and match empty tank sg as fast as possible,plop and drop fish. Just opening the bags you could tell there was ammonia and the longer it was exposed to fresh air the more danger the fish were in. Then over the next few days acclimate to reef or near reef sg.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back