Acclimation help

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have an achillies that is in an acclimation box since Thursday morning. It didn’t handle shipping well at all. It is in the left side acclimation box.

Thursday

1A6E24FF-BFA2-43F1-BBED-096B547E9D6F.jpeg

Friday morning is nibble gently on some
Mysis, but it largely ignored most of it.

Saturday morning, at best it ate two pieces of mysis. I added nori and brine shrimp, and ignored those as well.

Picture as of sat.

B980ADFA-2454-4E20-94AE-3737A72AA6DE.jpeg

Looks much better than Thursday, but not eating as well as I would like.

I’m torn on whether it is not eatting because of cramped in an acclimation box, or if it is just going on hungry strike and I am SOL.

Would you keep it in the acclimation box until eating or let it out?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion— Sometimes fish just find the feeding environment of the ‘plastic prison’ too unnatural to feed comfortably and naturally. I use my acclimation box to get them acclimated to the water parameters, and their future tank mates. Eating better will happen (hopefully) upon release into the DT. Let us know how it goes!

20A639E7-CD85-47A0-8A18-9B2098E1DF2B.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion— Sometimes fish just find the feeding environment of the ‘plastic prison’ too unnatural to feed comfortably and naturally. I use my acclimation box to get them acclimated to the water parameters, and their future tank mates. Eating better will happen (hopefully) upon release into the DT. Let us know how it goes!

20A639E7-CD85-47A0-8A18-9B2098E1DF2B.jpeg
+1 to this - I’ve never really been a fan of acclimation boxes as I’d rather get the fish into the proper environment to get it healthy and eating faster.

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stress can cause numerous problems on their own. Feeding the right food also can contribute to the health of livestock. I would feed seaweed and other foods that target Tangs and other mainly herbivorous and omnivorous fish. You can try adding garlic to your food as well to entice them to eat. Many flake foods contain garlic .

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have an achillies that is in an acclimation box since Thursday morning. It didn’t handle shipping well at all. It is in the left side acclimation box.

Thursday

1A6E24FF-BFA2-43F1-BBED-096B547E9D6F.jpeg

Friday morning is nibble gently on some
Mysis, but it largely ignored most of it.

Saturday morning, at best it ate two pieces of mysis. I added nori and brine shrimp, and ignored those as well.

Picture as of sat.

B980ADFA-2454-4E20-94AE-3737A72AA6DE.jpeg

Looks much better than Thursday, but not eating as well as I would like.

I’m torn on whether it is not eatting because of cramped in an acclimation box, or if it is just going on hungry strike and I am SOL.

Would you keep it in the acclimation box until eating or let it out?
Definitely let it out - Acanthurus need a ton of swimming room but achilles, Sohal and Clowns are the worst for it. They won’t do well if they aren’t given the swimming room and correct environment.

OP
OP
ReefHunter006

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to say everyone is looking healthy and eatting. Mirrors are up for 2 weeks just to minimize aggression, but other than the sail fin and dotty back, it appears everyone is settling in. Still a lot of sizing up and hierarchy being set, but no one is secluded in a corner. The first 24 hours after release were rough.

Had to move a clownfish to the frag tank. My only concern with that, is that I don’t typically house fish in my frag system so that it operates as a QT of sorts. May need to figure out a solution for that.

D97AA227-F0EB-42C3-AC6A-AE9DA00ED54D.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back