Acclimation issue....yikes!

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I was dripping a new Emporer Angel from 1.021 water to my water 1.024 in a specimen container in my sump....i got the fish from my LFS...about 30 min into the acclimation my container tipped over spilling the fish and water into my sump! Now what.....????? Is my fish doomed to a sudden death? This has never happened to me before! I am not a newbie.....but yikes!

MeMyFishandI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestion is to do a water change and add some carbon and prime for the ammonia. Maybe ask the LFS you got your fish from what they add to their tanks and that will help you treat for the specific toxins/medications you may have just added to your tank.

OP
OP
cancun

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I feel better....just did wc, and added Chemipure Blue as well. Worried fish would be a goner with the salinity jump.....and get this...I have a 200 gallon Aquarium.....I had the doors to the sump open....my German Shepherd stuck his nose in there and poked the acclimation container.....!!!!!! I was like :mad:!

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? My main concern is if the lfs water had copper in it

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a 200 gallon, plus the volume in your sump, that's a huge amount of water compared to the bag, so I would guess you are fine in regards to that. Throw in some carbon if you're particularly concerned.

As for the fish, not much you can do about it, but fish I believe tend to be more resilient to that than corals and inverts. Were I a betting man, I'd say it will be okay.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i put my fish that were being kept in 1.026 into water that was 1.034 (didn't know at the time) and all but 1 survived. it's definitely not ideal, but i bet you'll be ok

the lfs water.. might be a bigger issue if the lfs runs copper or something

and if you don't qt then the water shouldn't be an issue, whatever diseases in the water would be on the fish

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back