Acclimation under Photon 48 V2+

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received the Photon 48 V2+ yesterday and wondering what everyone is doing for acclimation on these lights. Tank is 120G 4x2x2 mixed reef.

I'm changing from 4x old Chinese black box LED's that were mounted about 7 inches above the water run 100% blue and 60% white from 2pm to 9pm. Obviously no ramp schedule.

The Photon is mounted 13'' above the water to get enough spread and currently set at 70% R blue/ 70% C blue / 70% violet / 35% white / 0% red / 0% green. Lights are on the schedule I just mentioned from 2pm to 8pm with 1 hour ramp up from 1pm to 2pm and 1 hour ramp down from 8pm to 9pm.

What would you guys eventually ramp these things up to? From the pics below the current settings don't seem to put out as much light as the 4x black boxes.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Top pic shows lighting under old Chinese black boxes just before switch. 2nd pic is the new Photon where you can see the shadowing and prism effect in the middle top from center brace.

DT - Original BB x 4 04.28.20.png DT - New Photon 48 V2  04.28.20.png

Last edited:

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Photon V2+ over a 90g tank (36"x30"x20"). One in front and one behind. I run my midday at just about the same as what you are running, and for a similar length of time. However, I do a 4 hour sunrise and a 5 hour sunset. I like the florescence of my corals under all blue leds in the evening. IMHO you should be fine with your settings.

OP
OP
ApoIsland

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Photon V2+ over a 90g tank (36"x30"x20"). One in front and one behind. I run my midday at just about the same as what you are running, and for a similar length of time. However, I do a 4 hour sunrise and a 5 hour sunset. I like the florescence of my corals under all blue leds in the evening. IMHO you should be fine with your settings.

Thanks for the input Ron. How high above the water do you have yours mounted? I would eventually like to get mine down to about 8-9 inches but am concerned about the spread front to back.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input Ron. How high above the water do you have yours mounted? I would eventually like to get mine down to about 8-9 inches but am concerned about the spread front to back.

Mine are both 9" off the water which is 20" deep. Spread front to back was my issue because I made the new tank 30" rather than the standard 24".

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back