Acer's build thread ( 3RMAS area)

OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Updates on my new Copperbanded Butterfly are now posted on the open public 3 Rivers Marine Aquarium Society Facebook page , with a pic of him in the "keeper", floating in the display tank before I released him. Testing my Alk has proven I am not using that much = so I backed down to adding the Kalkwasser ( 25mg) to every other refill of my ATO 5 gallon container. That seems to be the sweet spot = Alk ranging from 6.8-7.3 over the last week, Ca+ still good at 450- 475.

located here:

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
It has been a while, so I figured I would do an short update. Since I started calibrating my refractometer on each water change and also slowing down the frequency of my water changes I have been having mild success- not losing hardly any corals and no fish loss at all. The Copperbanded is doing well and starting to eat from the water column and not just from his homemade feeder. The 2-3 coral I have lost has been to fish picking up the frag and dropping them behind my rocks ( I have drilled holes in my rock for frags plugs to fit into - apparently not tight enough though) - nice of them to decide which corals they want in their home - NOT. I have been dozing by using 25Mg of Kalk in my auto top off- to keep my calcium and ALk in good ranges for the past 2 -3 months. Each time I have tested ( 2-3 timtes per week) its fine ( ALk 8.2-8.6, Ca 420-430). My Corals are growing - not at super fast rate, but growing and looking good with decent color and PE. My PO4 is running .06-.09, and my No3 is between 5 and 10.

Have been reading that some people have had issue with some salt from Fritz - specifically the Alk levels. So today I was ready to do a 20 gallon water change and I tested by tanks Alk= 8.4 DKL, then tested my new water mixed a few days ago and that is heated to 78 degrees F, it was 5.1 DKL. So ya - I understand why people are saying what they are saying. So in my 30 gallon mixing station I added 60 ML of Soda Ash liquid mix to raise the Alk to 8.0 - per the BRS calculator. I will retest that water tomorrow before I do the water change.

I hope everyone is doing well as they come out of the Covid19 pandemic situation.

Woud you rather start a tank with dry rock or live rock from the ocean?

• Dry Rock

Votes: 167 40.4%
  • Live Rock

Votes: 140 33.9%
  • Combo of both

Votes: 97 23.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 2.2%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors