Acer's build thread ( 3RMAS area)

OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Really, ohh ... Hmmmm... Thank you for pointing out my ignorance. Yes, my old one is indeed 2 channel. Too much info for my old brain apparently. Darn it- finally decided to just do the cheapo Chinese box. Now I will have to reevaluate. Leaning toward two V2+ 24 fixtures to cover my 150. That way if I end up down sizing I have a useful light or if one has an issue - I only have to cover 1/2 the tank.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Well the friend that lent me her SB original Basic light fixture had 2 more - both unopened and they sold them to me for a good price. So, here is the plan: one SB basic fixture on each side of the Reefbreeder 24 fixture I currently have - I will orient the SB basics from front to back, then Reefbreeder 24 in the middle of the tank oriented normally ( side to side). Then, I will place one 24" T5 blue bulb in front and 1 behind of the Reefbreeder fixture to help with shadowing and overall color of the tank lights. I may pick up a new Reefbreeder 24 V2+ to replace my old Reefbreeder. I will put up some Par values with this lighting scheme to see if that is necessary or not.
Timing: Ramping up the blue Reefbreeder channel starting at 8AM ( 1 hour ramp up) , 9 AM T5's come on and the White Reefbreeder channel lights starts ramping up ( 1 hour ramp up) , 10 AM both SB blue channels turn on, 11 AM both SB white channels turn on. So - from 11AM till 6PM all lights are o 7 hour coral growth period. At 6 PM T5's turn off, at 6:30 Reefbreeder White's begin to ramp down ( 90 minute ramp down) , 7 pm white SB channel turns off, 7:30 SB blue channels turns off and Reefbreeder blue channel begins to ramp down ( 2 hour ramp down) so by 7:30 the only lights that are on is about 33% of the Reefbreeder white channel and 100% of the Reefbreeder blue and by 8 pm only Reefbreeder blue at about 33% , 9 pm on lights are off except a 10% Reefbreeder blue channel as a moon light. I obviously need to buy a few more timers. LOL
I really like the way the tank looks with just blue lights for 30 - 45 minutes at the end of the day- the corals and fish really "pop". I know its an unrealistic look - but it also shows if a coral is not doing well = no "pop".
Update on the PO4 situation - after 24 hours of using my Dual BRS reactor with both sides loaded with new GFO - my PO4 went from .25 to .09 = yeah. Do not really know how it got so high to begin with. A bit of slacking on water changes and not changing the GFO as regularly as I thought, I suspect. Of course not tresting for nearly 2 months during my light crisis may be part of it - Ohh Ya.

OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Well, I picked up a few Monty and Challice frags at the black friday sale at the Reef Gallery to see if I can get anything to grow in my tank these days other than BTA's and Zoa's and Gorgonians wiht the new lights. I am terrible at rememebring names corals- but I know the Superman monty, RaJa Rampage challice, but forget the names of the other frags I got. Super sale - thanks Reef Gallery!

Top Shelf Aquatics

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
My PO4 may go through the roof after just one week of feeding and the GFO completely exhausted.
I test for PO4 weekly. Use 2-3 cups of regular GFO and replace it relatively frequently. Before a more intensive vinegar dosing schedule, relying primarily on my tiny fuge for nutrient export, I'd have to replace 2 cups of regular GFO every 10 days to keep PO4 under .05. Now, on a more aggressive vinegar dosing schedule, I replace the GFO every 4-6 weeks based on test results. Still testing every week though. My tank is half your size...

OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you - I have been looking for any advice and or a schedule on how often GFO needs to be changed. Yes, my tank is large ( 150 gallons) - but I also have a large Fuge with almost 1/3 of a 75 gallon tank filled with Cheato ( which I am planning are thinning this week - so free Cheato at the next club meeting). I think once a week I will change the GFO out for at least a month with testing every couple of days until PO4 is below .05.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Aren't you on a high capacity GFO? I've never used it, but I hear it lasts at least twice as long as the regular GFO.

kevinl

View Badges
Reaction score
Same stuff I use, doesn’t last longer just strips out the po4 quicker.
I’m usually running 1/2 cup to a cup at a time in a reactor for my 400 gal system.
I run mine for 2 to 6 weeks pending on my test results. Which as u know, I test po4 twice a week and alk just about every day.

kevinl

View Badges
Reaction score
That’s pushing it a bit!
It all comes down to what ur test results are.
Ur tank looks like u have no algae prob, so why do u need to get below 0.05?
What’s ur no3? If I remember it’s pretty low.

How are you accomplishing water flow in your reef tank?

• Powerhead Type Pumps

Votes: 383 67.0%
  • Closed Loop

Votes: 20 3.5%
  • Return Pump

Votes: 319 55.8%
  • Wavemaker

Votes: 217 37.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 2.6%

Online statistics

Members online