Achilles, Powder Blue & Purple Tang

manny14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a recent post about the stock I have and the stock I’m looking to add.

My LFS has had an Achilles for over a month, eating nori and frozen really good (see attached video). I’m also looking to add a smaller powder blue and a larger purple tang at some point as well.

my question is, do I add all 3 at the same time, or just the Achilles and powder at the same time and then the purple - since I have a gold rim that’s established and I’ve read on here that trios of acanthurus do better than two. Or do I add the purple then the two? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    93 MB

RJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is at least 6' long I would add all 3 at the same time and not think about adding any other tangs in that tank.

OP
OP
M

manny14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is at least 6' long I would add all 3 at the same time and not think about adding any other tangs in that tank.
I have a 210 72 x 24 x 29

these will be my last tangs / big fish going in. Only others I’d add will be flame angel, maybe a wrasse or two - down the road though

OP
OP
M

manny14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your plan. What other fish are in the tank now?
in order of addition:

2 clowns
Melanurus wrasse
Coral beauty
Foxface
Blue throat trigger
4 green chromis
Emperor
Blue hippo
Blonde naso
Blue eye two spot bristletooth
Gold rim

all smaller / medium sized fish, biggest in the tank is emperor or gold rim at about 4-4.5” -

Achilles is about 5” as well as the purple / powder blue is about 3.5”

RJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. There will be 7 tangs and an emperor angel fish. That's a lot of potentially larger fish. I have seen more than that, but I wouldn't do it due to risk. Make sure to feed nori often as well as prepared food to lower aggression.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I made a recent post about the stock I have and the stock I’m looking to add.

My LFS has had an Achilles for over a month, eating nori and frozen really good (see attached video). I’m also looking to add a smaller powder blue and a larger purple tang at some point as well.

my question is, do I add all 3 at the same time, or just the Achilles and powder at the same time and then the purple - since I have a gold rim that’s established and I’ve read on here that trios of acanthurus do better than two. Or do I add the purple then the two? Any help is greatly appreciated!
This is the 4th post I believe ive seen. You are adamant on an achilles and at this point get it before theyre gone but take in account the risks mentioned.
Im not concerned with tank size and number as stated - Manage good water quality and diet which are a nust. I have 21 tangs and 37 fish total and all are totally happy

OP
OP
M

manny14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. There will be 7 tangs and an emperor angel fish. That's a lot of potentially larger fish. I have seen more than that, but I wouldn't do it due to risk. Make sure to feed nori often as well as prepared food to lower aggression.
There are 3-4 nori clips in there at all times, I feed frozen, have an auto feeder as well. As it stands there’s zero aggression but I know things could change pretty quickly once I add more.

I understand at some point I’ll probably have to rehome my blue hippo, blonde and potentially my emperor but that’s why they’re all small right
now.

OP
OP
M

manny14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the 4th post I believe ive seen. You are adamant on an achilles and at this point get it before theyre gone but take in account the risks mentioned.
Im not concerned with tank size and number as stated - Manage good water quality and diet which are a nust. I have 21 tangs and 37 fish total and all are totally happy
I do 20% water changes every 2 weeks on the dot, may have to do weekly once I add - diet is multiple nori clips + frozen + pellets + lrs. Everyone is happy and fat right now

I understand the risks but I’d kick myself if I didn’t get this Achilles seeing he’s been there over a month and a half, eating and not in copper.

OP
OP
M

manny14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All 3 were added tonight. Gold was naturally not happy but split the terrorizing of Achilles and powder. Powder smacked back a few times, Achilles kinda just took it. Purple actually ended up breaking up a lot of tiffs. Lights are off and everyone seems chill right now. Good news is everyone ate tonight so here’s to hoping for good things haha

OP
OP
M

manny14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• CE47A36B-5156-4989-98BF-128AA7EB1B1B.jpeg
    CE47A36B-5156-4989-98BF-128AA7EB1B1B.jpeg
    228.4 KB · Views: 102
  • FullSizeRender.MOV
    11.3 MB

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone else waiting for an emergency thread…

No seriously, I think you’ve just gone and pushed every button possible with your tank. I wouldn’t be surprised if something bad occurs. You have got 8 fish that get huge, the Naso, Hippo and Emperor will all outgrow this tank size and your 3 Acanthurus tangs will likely battle eachother to the point of stressing them out and risking a disease.

Yes, I do have a 4’ tank with 11-12 fish however I recommend a weekly water change of 20% for any heavily stocked tank. And if you plan corals, it’s unlikely any SPS will be happy with only a 20% water change every 2 weeks.

OP
OP
M

manny14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No seriously, I think you’ve just gone and pushed every button possible with your tank. I wouldn’t be surprised if something bad occurs.
No aggression today, everyone eating, no signs of stress, water parameters on point, uv on standby, oversized skimmer, lots of nori clips and frozen. Prepared for it the best I could and everyone seems surprisingly well today, yesterday was a little rowdy for sure though

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No aggression today, everyone eating, no signs of stress, water parameters on point, uv on standby, oversized skimmer, lots of nori clips and frozen. Prepared for it the best I could and everyone seems surprisingly well today, yesterday was a little rowdy for sure though
Tangs snap… They act all friendly one day and then the next day they just hate eachother. Acanthurus tangs are best known for this, I wouldn’t say 2 days is even close to enough time to say they’re doing perfectly, 2-3 years I will say that’s good but any shorter and it’s still that risk of snapping. Even then, I’ve seen tangs snap and just attack everything after being peaceful for 3 years.

secret_reefer337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t read the whole thread but what I can say is, the Achilles and the powder might tolerate each other but definitely one will be always hiding or being bullied. This is base on my experience since I have an achilles and two powders in a 210 and the achilles dominate the tank. If I can catch the two powders and re-home, I will do it without second thought.

OP
OP
M

manny14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No seriously, I think you’ve just gone and pushed every button possible with your tank. I wouldn’t be surprised if something bad occurs. You have got 8 fish that get huge, the Naso, Hippo and Emperor will all outgrow this tank size and your 3 Acanthurus tangs will likely battle eachother to the point of stressing them out and risking a disease.

Yes, I do have a 4’ tank with 11-12 fish however I recommend a weekly water change of 20% for any heavily stocked tank. And if you plan corals, it’s unlikely any SPS will be happy with only a 20% water change every 2 weeks.
I do weekly water changes, one set for later this week. Everyone at this current point in time is S/M. I do understand I will have to tank upgrade in time, there is plenty of space right now for all of them. I do not have coral, and the 3 acanthurus so far haven’t even paid any attention to each other today outside of the gold and powder sizing up, Achilles has been swimming very happily compared to how he was in the 75 gallon in the store.

OP
OP
M

manny14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t read the whole thread but what I can say is, the Achilles and the powder might tolerate each other but definitely one will be always hiding or being bullied. This is base on my experience since I have an achilles and two powders in a 210 and the achilles dominate the tank. If I can catch the two powders and re-home, I will do it without second thought.
Absolutely. I am prepared to rehome if need be

OP
OP
M

manny14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs snap… They act all friendly one day and then the next day they just hate eachother. Acanthurus tangs are best known for this, I wouldn’t say 2 days is even close to enough time to say they’re doing perfectly, 2-3 years I will say that’s good but any shorter and it’s still that risk of snapping. Even then, I’ve seen tangs snap and just attack everything after being peaceful for 3 years.
Yeah I’ve read some horror stories as well. I am prepared to rehome, I’m not saying I’m out of the woods but I am surprised at the low stress levels at this point in time. Hoping for the best

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back