Achilles Tang, Am I overreacting??

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a 3" Achilles tang on Tuesday, (2 days ago). It was in copper and was eating very well at the store. I brought him home and placed in 20 long tank for qt while I finish the 150 build. The qt system has a HOB filter and a heater and a 2" diameter piece of pipe. It does not look like he can fit into the pipe so I'm getting a bigger one.

Anywho, he did not eat Tuesday as I had just gotten him home at 1700 and into the tank at 1715. Wife fed him yesterday and stated that he "only took two bites". I see no abnormalities on his body and he is swimming fully and normally. Am I overreacting or do I need to change something? This is my dream fish so failure is not an option. Plus it already has a name.

OP
OP
Medic755

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are nice; I would wait a few more days and continue offering food including nori before I got too concerned. Sounds like normal acclimation to me.
Should I continue to offer it via the clip or try rubberbanding it to a rock?

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wound not worry. if he doesnt eat after the weekend yes. Mine in qt is a pig but was not always

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Offer a variety of food to see what he likes.

Also, the aquarium gods do not approve of naming fish that quickly. No names until you have had any fish for at least six weeks, lest the aquarium gods smite you.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A nearly failproof solution to an Achilles that won’t eat is live brine!

Red nori and live blackworms are 2 and 3

OP
OP
Medic755

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was eating LRS fish frenzy and mysis at store. I've fed LRS nano. I'm assuming that the mixture isn't that different. I also offered mysis to no avail. No copper in qt. Wanted to see how he looked first before going to a more invasive option.

OP
OP
Medic755

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Offer a variety of food to see what he likes.

Also, the aquarium gods do not approve of naming fish that quickly. No names until you have had any fish for at least six weeks, lest the aquarium gods smite you.

Hahaha I know, I know. Don't tempt fate but like I said, dream fish hahaha. His name is Peleus.

Mr. Bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Head of the Chesapeake, North East, Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was eating LRS fish frenzy and mysis at store. I've fed LRS nano. I'm assuming that the mixture isn't that different. I also offered mysis to no avail. No copper in qt. Wanted to see how he looked first before going to a more invasive option.

From what I see in the ingredients list, the Nano mix lacks fish eggs, blackworms, and seaweed. The rest are identical. Might make a difference with a tang, though.

Was also thinking that taking him from a tank with copper and acclimating him into one without it in only 15 minutes might have put him in a mild state of shock.

kalare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't stick to just a couple types of food. Getting a fish to eat means trying everything under the sun till you find one that works. Go back to the store and buy the exact same foods they are using. Try both the clip and a rock and see what happens. While everyone's experience here is helpful, don't rely on it. Try it all. Luckily, achilles tangs can take high current, so blast current in the tank and put a prefilter sponge on your filter to catch all the uneaten food and clean the sponge after every feeding. I feed my fish in QT between 2-4 times a day.

joshua rivera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try and drop a drop or 2 of garlic... That was happening to my purple tang when I 1st got him. The garlic will entice him to eat. I'd wait maybe a min or so before feeding him after the drops. Hope that helps and he gets better

MT. Reefer

Mt.Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's one thing you can try with a Tang. Get a small bowl and put some garlic powder in about 1/4 inch of RO water. Put a strip of nori in the water and let it soak for an hour or two. Put in on a clip or rock and stick it in the tank. Hard for most tangs to ignore it for long.

Robert Vacchiano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep a close I on him they are notorious for getting ick. Mine would not eat at first but in a couple of days he did.Keep an eye on his fins for ick that’s were you will probably see it first.They may stop eating when infected .If he was eating at store with copper I would treat your qt for a couple of weeks to make sure he is clear of ick and stays that way.Good luck

OP
OP
Medic755

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried feeding again. No obvious eating. maybe a piece or two of food. Tried mysis and super brine shrimp today with no change. Tried rubberbanding green algae to a rock, nothing. He just seems constantly scared but doesn't go into the pipes provided to him. I'm really starting to get worried........ He has no marks on him to suggest ich/velvet. I don't have the tank lit, should I light it for a portion of the day?

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried feeding again. No obvious eating. maybe a piece or two of food. Tried mysis and super brine shrimp today with no change. Tried rubberbanding green algae to a rock, nothing. He just seems constantly scared but doesn't go into the pipes provided to him. I'm really starting to get worried........ He has no marks on him to suggest ich/velvet. I don't have the tank lit, should I light it for a portion of the day?

Generally room light would be sufficient, but certainly could not hurt, most fish we keep won't eat in the dark.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back