Acriflavine Bath

rs1831

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a tang in quarantine that is showing signs of brook and I am wondering what I should do. Will brook still be in the quarantine water if I take the tang out and give it a Acriflavine bath? The signs are lack of appetite, dull colors compared to how it looked, sand has been sticking to it, which looked like ich but now they he is in quarantine does not appear to be ich, hiding behind rocks, and breathing heavy.

Best,
Roland

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will brook still be in the quarantine water if I take the tang out and give it a Acriflavine bath?

Yes, it would be optimal to transfer the fish to a new/sterile QT post bath. Treating the QT with metro or CP will eradicate brook in there if you can't setup a new QT.

OP
OP
rs1831

rs1831

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it would be optimal to transfer the fish to a new/sterile QT post bath. Treating the QT with metro or CP will eradicate brook in there if you can't setup a new QT.
Thank you for the response. What is CP? By metro do you mean Metronidazole?

OP
OP
rs1831

rs1831

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
rs1831

rs1831

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I add Ruby Reef directly to my quarantine tank to treat brook?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I add Ruby Reef directly to my quarantine tank to treat brook?

You can do it for now to control brook, but it won't completely eradicate the life stages of the disease inside the QT itself.

The metro that I ordered will be here on Wednesday. I just mix it with food and it will take care of the rest? Should I do a Acriflavine bath as well? The metro that I ordered is metroplex by seachem.
For brook, you want to dose metro directly into the QT. What would be optimal is to do the Rally bath, transfer the fish into a new QT, and then dose metro in there for good measure. There have been some instances where one acriflavine bath wasn't enough to completely eradicate brook on the fish.

OP
OP
rs1831

rs1831

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Should I consider a fresh water dip even though I will not be able to transfer to a new QT? He does not seem to be doing well. What should I do if I only have one tank that I can use as a QT? Put them in a large tote overnight to allow the QT to dry after bleaching it out? I like your plan but I will not be able to do it until Wednesday. After the freshwater dip, should I treat the QT with Rally to help hold the fish over until Wednesday?

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
rs1831

rs1831

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing, he is breathing heavily with his mouth open. I did the freshwater dip but did not notice any white spots in the water after the dip.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Should I consider a fresh water dip even though I will not be able to transfer to a new QT? He does not seem to be doing well. What should I do if I only have one tank that I can use as a QT? Put them in a large tote overnight to allow the QT to dry after bleaching it out? I like your plan but I will not be able to do it until Wednesday. After the freshwater dip, should I treat the QT with Rally to help hold the fish over until Wednesday?

You could put him in a 5 gallon bucket overnight while you clean/disinfect the QT. I would just dose Rally in the QT until the metro comes. I've treated fish with Rally for days with no ill effects.

OP
OP
rs1831

rs1831

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, could somebody provide me with how many ounces per gallon for a bath? Thanks!

OP
OP
rs1831

rs1831

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If using Ruby Reef Rally, its 2/3 teaspoon per gallon.

Thank you. The tang is not looking good so I am going to do another fresh water dip and then an Acriflavine bath. Even though some of the stuff that I need will not arrive until tomorrow I will set up a new QT so I can sanitize the real QT so that I can start with the metro tomorrow in a fresh QT. do fish show signs of labored breathing with brook. From what I have read about flukes it seems like that is what the tang has but I did not notice any in the freshwater dip last night.
Here is a pic:

Should I consider doing anything else instead of what I've stated?

Thank you!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brook can cause labored breathing. But so can ich, velvet, flukes and a few other diseases.

Your plan sounds good, but if brook has done enough damage it might be too late. I hope the metro you ordered comes early tomorrow, as that is the missing component of your treatment plan.

OP
OP
rs1831

rs1831

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humble fish, thank you for your help! Do you have a feeling either way on what you believe is going on with this fish?

Thanks!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humble fish, thank you for your help! Do you have a feeling either way on what you believe is going on with this fish?

The symptoms you've described cover a wide range of diseases. What sets brook apart from other parasite infestations is the fish's skin will appear to be peeling or sloughing off. There are photos of clownfish with various stages of brook here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/

You said in your OP that "sand has been sticking to it" to describe the tang's condition. Do you have a photo of this by any chance?

OP
OP
rs1831

rs1831

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not. That stopped one I put him in the qt. I saw the pics of the skin and it does not look that way.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 21 17.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 13.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 26 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 5.0%
Back