View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fish, one astrea snail. 10g system.

Alk - 7.9
Ca - 430
Mg - 1350
I need to check nitrates and phosphates.

This is in a QT system, so while ideally the frags will thrive, if in this new-ish system the best I can hope for is that they will survive for six weeks until I can put them in my DT, I can live with that :/
nitrates are 0 and my phosphate test is acting up.

OP
OP
K

knd342

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_4423.jpg
    IMG_4423.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 19

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I don't. But I'm using an AI Prime 16 and I have it set to a program I pulled off their website. These are the settings:
I have a prime 16 hd over a 12” cube frag tank. Your par could be 500 or 50 depending on your mounting height and frag rack location

OP
OP
K

knd342

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a prime 16 hd over a 12” cube frag tank. Your par could be 500 or 50 depending on your mounting height and frag rack location
Fair enough.
I have it mounted 12" off the surface of the water, which is about 19" off the top of the frag rack.

There are acans and digis and a scoly on the rack next to the acros. They are all doing great. Perhaps the par is too low for the acros?

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually
Just noticed your blues are at 80
Probably very low par, but that wouldn’t stress them that soon. 0 no3 usually means very low Po4 as well. Your acros are going to starve without proper nutrition.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried to run coral QT / growout systems without fish. Softies and LPS were fine. Montipora and chalice OK.

Acropora can hang for a few weeks to a month but they were never happy even though I had ample mature live rock. They are just not that adaptive to ammonia deficient environments. They need fish respiration, pee, and poo. Along with the bacteria that process those ingredients.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider dosing some ammonium. It is not as scary as you think... people dose way scarier stuff like stump killer, driveway melt and all kinds of other things.

The acros cannot use nitrate for nitrogen without converting it at a huge cost which is something that only the most thriving corals can do. They get nitrogen from ammonia/ammonium or by catching something like bacteria in their slime coats (which also need ammonia/ammonium). Aminos might help, but I doubt it... and not as much as ammonium would.

Even some shrimp or crabs in there getting fed some pellets would help out.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To expand, the hosts should be able to recycle building blocks to some degree to survive for a while, but they need new to grow and eventually even survive. Some water from your display might help with some waterborne fauna, some P and maybe some ammonia, but this might not be what you are looking for with a QT tank by perhaps constantly introducing potential pathogens from the display. Get some food in there and something to eat it and covert some waste.

While ammonium could take care of nitrogen a bit, it won't help with phosphate... dosing a single kind won't do what you think since there are many different types of organic/inorganic/phosphate/phosphorous and food will help with more kinds. Plus, the food will have a real swath of aminos and not just the unknown or limited ones in your dosing... the host and zoox will need the essential ones to function and I only know of one Amino supplement that even lists what is ACTUALLY in there and it is not all of the essentials. If you had a supplement that had all of the essentials, then this might be better if you are sure that the corals get them instead of the waterborne single cell organisms, bacteria, etc that make it a losing math battle for the corals just with surface area. Does your supplement list what you are adding?

Tanks are SO tricky without fish. You just cannot dose N and P like so many people think and have good results - these are not food and do not get building blocks to the corals the way that so many wrongly think. Take a mysis that a fish eats... it has all of the stuff that made the mysis grow and live and turn into a real animal... that gets recycled and released into the tank... the fish keeps about 1/3 and 2/3 move on down the line to get consumed by something else. Good luck.

OP
OP
K

knd342

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I will dip the acros again and then add them to my display. I dipped them and replaced the plugs when I received them, and I haven't seen any signs of pests in the last week. I will have to reread Humblefish's blog about Ich -- my biggest concern would be an ich cyst that gets released into my DT.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.0%
Back