Acro flow, high direct or high indirect?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of acros that were donated. They're not dead, but also not super happy. I put them high on the rocks and one has direct blast flow from a Maxspect 2K gyre (40gal long tank, about 10" away from the gyre). Gyre is set to forward and reverse, so it gets blasted every few seconds. The other one is on the other side of the rock and likely getting less / more indirect flow.

Which is best for acros? And while I'm at it, is flow preference similar for anacropora (have a goldenrod)?

Thanks!

ALK: 8.0
NO3: ~0 (dosing aminos and occasionally neonitro to bring up)
PO4: 0.2 most recently :worried-face:

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every acro is different but high, indirect flow is usually appreciated over direct flow. Ideally you want a mix. Yes, anacropora have similiar requrements as acros.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always found the best results with high/inderect/random flow. Random settings coupled with flow patterns that intersect create a flow that varies and keeps my acros happy. I also wouldn't let nitrates bottom out like that. You can keep them low if you prefer but at least 5 on no3 would be advisable....lower is ok if you can keep it from bottoming out. N03 @0=dinos in most cases.

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each coral kinda reacts a little different. (Learned from coral euphoria) They like broad direct flow in my experience, but that's very hard to achieve for a full tank and While they grow, so in practice lots of random in direct flow is better overall. (Not a crazy amount of experience), but SPS seem to do good in my tank.

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO: High, indirect flow. You don't want to blast the corals directly. For example, I have a 100g tank and the flow rate is between 65 and 70 times per hour (tank volume). All SPS system and corals are happy, polyps just waving in the "breeze".

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back