ACRO turning white and fuzzy with brown fuzz

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought these acros all at once, and the latest one I bought was a stylo, which I saw was a beginner coral :D. I rlly only spent around 50-75$ on all my acros because it was sbb's sale. They are all now quarantining at a friends house whose been reefing for YEARS(and its a friends dad so, I mean YEARS)
A beginner coral doesn't mean "a brand new tank" beginner. Understandable mistake, but a quick search should tell you any and all acros take a minimum of 6 months of tank stability.

Regardless of where you bought the corals or how much, it's still a living animal. While all reefers have coral deaths, it's our responsibility to provide as stable of an environment as possible. Acros in a tank 2 months old as a new reefer is irresponsible. Hopefully you've learned and it seems you have since you've off loaded to another tank.

Talk to your friend's dad more if he's been a true reefer for years. He'll have knowledge of all the info you need to know and more importantly (and hoepfully) be able to convince you when to hold back on pulling the trigger on purchases. That's the hardest part FOR EVERYONE in this hobby, but a necessity.

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A beginner coral doesn't mean "a brand new tank" beginner. Understandable mistake, but a quick search should tell you any and all acros take a minimum of 6 months of tank stability.

Regardless of where you bought the corals or how much, it's still a living animal. While all reefers have coral deaths, it's our responsibility to provide as stable of an environment as possible. Acros in a tank 2 months old as a new reefer is irresponsible. Hopefully you've learned and it seems you have since you've off loaded to another tank.

Talk to your friend's dad more if he's been a true reefer for years. He'll have knowledge of all the info you need to know and more importantly (and hoepfully) be able to convince you when to hold back on pulling the trigger on purchases. That's the hardest part FOR EVERYONE in this hobby, but a necessity.
Ye, thanks, I talked to my lfs, they said the stylo was fine. And idk if I’m just being stupid, but I can’t find any of the 6months cycling things :((((. Do u just mean fully cycled?(not calling u wrong :)) and sorry.

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And, all my other coral(all softies and one nem, well and the one stylo and monti) are doing great! No signs of bleaching, all have been growing actually, besides the acros, this tank is thriving!

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ye, thanks, I talked to my lfs, they said the stylo was fine. And idk if I’m just being stupid, but I can’t find any of the 6months cycling things :((((. Do u just mean fully cycled?(not calling u wrong :)) and sorry.
I won't say you're being stupid at all. You're a beginner and learning. I don't know how you're "searching", but there are multiple articles that pop up ranging anywhere from 4-8 months. I will add that the timefeame s all dependent on each individual system, as well. As with a lot (but not all) things in the hobby, take the evidence as a "guide", not the rule. I won't open this can of worms at this time.

I did not mean 6 months of cycling. I meant 6 months AFTER cycling. And more precisely 6 months of tank stability after cycling. There are examples of people putting in coral much earlier than that and being successful, but if you read why they were successful it's usually due to having some other factors at play (family members that have kept tanks for years, rock from established tanks, etc).

There are biological reasons why a tank started with dry rock needs to mature before putting acros or other corals. You still have the ugly phase of the new tank ahead of you, getting the hang of WCs, and testing routinely to understand the tank, etc. You don't have calcium (as far as I have understood) and have alk bouncing around (and really high, I read 16dkh I believe?)

Now is the time to read, learn, and get the husbandry under control. WCs need to match your tank parameters (besides waste products like phosphate and nitrate that should be zero in the new water). This means, salinity, temperature, alkalinity and calcium (should be able to replenish what is consumed by the corals) and they need to happen at routine intervals.

Good luck!

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't say you're being stupid at all. You're a beginner and learning. I don't know how you're "searching", but there are multiple articles that pop up ranging anywhere from 4-8 months. I will add that the timefeame s all dependent on each individual system, as well. As with a lot (but not all) things in the hobby, take the evidence as a "guide", not the rule. I won't open this can of worms at this time.

I did not mean 6 months of cycling. I meant 6 months AFTER cycling. And more precisely 6 months of tank stability after cycling. There are examples of people putting in coral much earlier than that and being successful, but if you read why they were successful it's usually due to having some other factors at play (family members that have kept tanks for years, rock from established tanks, etc).

There are biological reasons why a tank started with dry rock needs to mature before putting acros or other corals. You still have the ugly phase of the new tank ahead of you, getting the hang of WCs, and testing routinely to understand the tank, etc. You don't have calcium (as far as I have understood) and have alk bouncing around (and really high, I read 16dkh I believe?)

Now is the time to read, learn, and get the husbandry under control. WCs need to match your tank parameters (besides waste products like phosphate and nitrate that should be zero in the new water). This means, salinity, temperature, alkalinity and calcium (should be able to replenish what is consumed by the corals) and they need to happen at routine intervals.

Good luck!
calc, I forgot lol, but it was something good, alk is now 12.5 dkh, didn't test for mag yet. and for wc's I have the hang of that, I rlly just rely on my pump to pump out more than the tank can give to it, so the tank looses more water than other tanks
I have the 20.5 peninsula and the pump that came with it was too strong. The pump was returning the water faster than the chambers could keep up. I majorly downsized and noticed I am still having the same issue. The water from chamber 2 does not flow as quickly as chamber 1 so the pump will still return the water faster than the chamber can fill up. I believe it could be a design issue since I have been troubleshooting for weeks. Has anyone else had this issue, I know these tanks are still Farley new.

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
calc, I forgot lol, but it was something good, alk is now 12.5 dkh, didn't test for mag yet. and for wc's I have the hang of that, I rlly just rely on my pump to pump out more than the tank can give to it, so the tank looses more water than other tanks
and I do around 10% wc's each week

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%

Back