ACRO turning white and fuzzy with brown fuzz

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
seemed like it was "choking" it, idk just trying to make excuses to calm myself down and to not feel guilty
coral loss(or other critter loss) is usually grounds for guilt. but for every negative there is a positive! once you can identify the root of the issue of why it bleached/died you can then learn how to correct and avoid it from happening again in the future.

i’ve been reefing for 3years now and i can’t even tell you how many coral, fish, or invertebrate losses i’ve had.

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
coral loss(or other critter loss) is usually grounds for guilt. but for every negative there is a positive! once you can identify the root of the issue of why it bleached/died you can then learn how to correct and avoid it from happening again in the future.

i’ve been reefing for 3years now and i can’t even tell you how many coral, fish, or invertebrate losses i’ve had.
heaters bugging out

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t rush into acros, it’s a recipe for disaster and frustration ime. There’s a lot more to parameters you got to learn too.
Acros require more stable environments and 2 months is not enough time to learn its swings and habits. Look at videos on YouTube, do more research and start with easier corals. Slowly progress onto harder pieces.

My advice, please don’t take this the wrong way, just wanted to help

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t rush into acros, it’s a recipe for disaster and frustration ime. There’s a lot more to parameters you got to learn too.
Acros require more stable environments and 2 months is not enough time to learn its swings and habits. Look at videos on YouTube, do more research and start with easier corals. Slowly progress onto harder pieces.

My advice, please don’t take this the wrong way, just wanted to help
welp, already spent $50 the other day on acros, so...(6 acros) (now 5) and just went to my LFS and got a stylo :D

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stylo is an easier one. Take time stability is key buddy
ye, wish I could just trade all of these for stylos(ik I can, but I paid for these acros, worked for them, wish I could just give them to somebiody for some time with a stable tank, then when mine is stable, I can then get them back

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ye, wish I could just trade all of these for stylos(ik I can, but I paid for these acros, worked for them, wish I could just give them to somebiody for some time with a stable tank, then when mine is stable, I can then get them back
If you keep up on your maintenance and water change you may be able

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is the only coral that is dying on me :C all the others are perfectly fine :CCCC
None of the coral in that pic look good.

Your tank isn’t likely to sustain any SPS until about 6 months in. Some people can fire up frag tanks with existing media or filtration and have success. But your tank wasn’t started that way.

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the coral in that pic look good.

Your tank isn’t likely to sustain any SPS until about 6 months in. Some people can fire up frag tanks with existing media or filtration and have success. But your tank wasn’t started that way.
its cuz I had no lighting on, thats just my room reflecting sunlight lol

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its cuz I had no lighting on, thats just my room reflecting sunlight lol
My Acros are the colorful colors that they are supposed to be with room lights or T5s on. Acros should not be brown

Evil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of reefers in NJ that might be willing to help. Reach out to @fishface NJ she can help you out.

Evil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key to Acros at least in my experience is work your way up. Start with softies. If they do well after a few months move on to LPS. After a few month and the softies and LPS are doing well move onto SPS like birds nest and montipora. Again once these are doing well go to anacapora a little more forgiving than acropora. All doing well it’s time for acros. Slow and steady wins the race! Be mindful this takes years to be successful!

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Acros are the colorful colors that they are supposed to be with room lights or T5s on. Acros should not be brown
ik, i had sun in my window, my roomlight is a lamp, and for the photos, that was just cuz it was cloudy outside and the 10 year old iPads camera was bad, my acros are all colorful rn

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ik, i had sun in my window, my roomlight is a lamp, and for the photos, that was just cuz it was cloudy outside and the 10 year old iPads camera was bad, my acros are all colorful rn
and, my tank is kinda dark like that sometimes, that is also MY corals natural colors, they are purple under light

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back