Acropora and the Redfield Ratio

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you recall that was a reference to a now old thread when you were trying to help a newb understand that 0:0 nutrients are NOT the goal.
Sounds familiar haha
Let me guess…I then showed pics of colorful Tenuis with nice PE and +25no3/0.20po4??? Shocker

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the moonshiners manual has a good description of the RR ratio at the end of the day just look at your corals and see how their doing . look at the glass see how much algae is forming after a while you will know where your po4 is by sight . numbers are good to have a base line its not a definite number I also think nutrients change during the day because of different factors like lighting ,time of time ,temp and ph variances etc.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds familiar haha
Let me guess…I then showed pics of colorful Tenuis with nice PE and +25no3/0.20po4??? Shocker
Yes and I offered to loan you my shears so you could hack back that excessive fur on your sticks so we could see what they really look like.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My take is you need both to allow reduction of either.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Prey tell.... Prove it with facts not theory. I'm all ears.
Prove that the Redfield ratio has nothing to do with our tanks? OK - 1. We measure Nitrate and Phosphate - not N and P. 2. Lets pretend the 'goal' ratio is 10:1 N:p. So - if you're nitrate is 100 and PO4 10 - thats the same ratio as if your Nitrate is 1 and your phostpate is 0.1. They both have the same 'ratio' - are they both the same?. 3. As others have said - and I said - the Redfield ratio is the N:p in phytoplankton (originally)

EDIT - THE NUMBERS I WAS USING WERE JUST TO MAKE THE MATH SIMPLER:). I WAS NOT RECOMMENDING A 10:1 RATIO

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you prove something that does not exist?

If you want to worry about residual numbers and not focus on available nitrate and phosphate/phosphorous/organic/inorganic. then you are already in the territory of madness. If somebody is even contemplating a Redfield ratio and does not even know that nitrate is perhaps the least effective way of getting nitrogen to a coral (and often at their demise), then I strongly suggest that you step back, pay attention to those telling you not to worry about this and dig into ammonia/ammonium. Your foundational knowledge of how to get building blocks to corals needs some reinforcement.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prove that the Redfield ratio has nothing to do with our tanks? OK - 1. We measure Nitrate and Phosphate - not N and P. 2. Lets pretend the 'goal' ratio is 10:1 N:p. So - if you're nitrate is 100 and PO4 10 - thats the same ratio as if your Nitrate is 1 and your phostpate is 0.1. They both have the same 'ratio' - are they both the same?. 3. As others have said - and I said - the Redfield ratio is the N:p in phytoplankton (originally)
The thing is that 10 to 1 ratio is wrong for phosphate and nitrate in our tank. It is more like 10ppm to 0.05ppm which is 200 to 1 :)
Thats Right GIF by Back Row Radio

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The thing is that 10 to 1 ratio is wrong for phosphate and nitrate in our tank. It is more like 10ppm to 0.05ppm which is 200 to 1 :)
Thats Right GIF by Back Row Radio
The numbers were just made up - to show an example. Not a recommendation

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My point is the ratio is not even close to 10 to 1
My point is that the numbers were just an example. Not what the Redfield ratio was. BTW - The N/P Redfield ratio is 16:1. "The Redfield Ratio is the recurring ratio of 106:16:1 of carbon to nitrogen to phosphorus (C/N/P) found in marine phytoplankton."

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My point is that the numbers were just an example. Not what the Redfield ratio was. BTW - The N/P Redfield ratio is 16:1. "The Redfield Ratio is the recurring ratio of 106:16:1 of carbon to nitrogen to phosphorus (C/N/P) found in marine phytoplankton."
And we often forget that this ratio refers to phosphorus, while we all talk in terms of phosphates. So if you are messing with this, don't forget the 3.0661 adjustment factor.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And we often forget that this ratio refers to phosphorus, while we all talk in terms of phosphates. So if you are messing with this, don't forget the 3.0661 adjustment factor.

so we all agree it is nothing to do with water.
interested nodding GIF

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't follow it. But I feel there must be something to it. Even if it's miniscule. There's really not much information on it out there. I asked for facts because there's too many people saying things based on opinion here. Like I said I got scolded on here once for even thinking about it.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I do believe a tank can get out of sorts between NO3 and PO4 ratios. But I also believe it has more to do with biologics which gets translated to NO3 and PO4 because that's what we can test for.

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of people keep acros in water they draw off of their septic system. There was a whole thread about it this weekend. Beautiful, bright acros.
To hell with the Redfield ratio. Being a building contractor and one who has built their own home from the ground up. I want to know more about how one would draw water off their septic system.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back