Acropora Bleaching from base

gabriel.pena1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi my acropora started bleaching from the base, days ago I still saw some polyps and it still has coloration on the tips just the base started to bleach these are my parameters
Calcium 560
Phosphates 0.30
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
pH 8
dkH 11

What is wrong and what can I do? I moved the acropora to a better lighting spot.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I am sorry you are dealing with this. I hope you get lots of help with this issue.

Next, Thank you for listing the water parameters that you have, that can really help someone help you.

First issue I see is you calcium is very high. Water changes, large changes can help that. Second is your phosphates are a bit o. The high side as well, not knowing how old your tank is this could be a big or smaller issue. Third issue I see a potential problem with is the Nitrate. 0, or undetectable, is not good. Nitrate and phosphate work best when in balance. Even if you don’t have an issue at the moment when one of those parameters change you can get big issues.

No for the coral. Thank you for telling us it is an Acropora but what kind of acro is it? That makes a difference. Do you know the par on your tank? If not what is the size and dimensions of your tank and what lights do you have? (while this is not as good as knowing par it may help us help you). The type of lights, settings is applicable and duration of time on/off will also help. Tank temp how long you have had the coral, where you have placed it in the tank and even flow will help as well. Also if you can please add a picture or multiple.

I will help you where I can, PM me and I can give you my cell number and help you work through some stuff if need be.

welcome to R2R and the hobby. Remember the most expensive part of this hobby is impatience!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Shading (area where light does not reach is one reason)
Check for any pests like red bugs or flatworms which usually start at the base
Alk spike would be another reason
Low ph
High salinity or false reading

recommended:

temp 76/79
Salinity 1.025
Ph 8.1-8.3
Nitrate < .04
Pho’s < .04
Ammonia < .03
Alk 8-9
Ca 440
Mag 1300

moderate light and water flow

what test kits are you using?
RODI water or tap water from faucet?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 82 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back