OP
OP
XanderPR

XanderPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer my vision to be loose for sure. But I don't think I'll lose my vision.

They are harsh because I get to the point. I don't do the whole "if you want" "if you feel like". I'm more here is what it is. Do what you want. I type very dryly, I want to help, but I'm not usually going to spend alot of time explaining, I move on fast.
Actually what I got from your post was: everything's gonna die, your an idiot, stop reefing. You never once provide a suggestion on how to mitigate the losses I am having! But you do you, bud. Just somewhere else please!

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually what I got from your post was: everything's gonna die, your an idiot, stop reefing. You never once provide a suggestion on how to mitigate the losses I am having! But you do you, bud. Just somewhere else please!
I never once did eh? Maybe you should reread my posts and check the username just to make sure "bud".

Hint - Keep feeding reef roids without checking.

Hint - What test kits do you have?

Hint - Who can tell you if you should and what to dose?

Hint - Do you even read the posts or only check for what you want to see?

OP
OP
XanderPR

XanderPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gr
I never once did eh? Maybe you should reread my posts and check the username just to make sure "bud".

Hint - Keep feeding reef roids without checking.

Hint - What test kits do you have?

Hint - Who can tell you if you should and what to dose?

Hint - Do you even read the posts or only check for what you want to see?
Great questions... where are the suggestions about what I should do? I'll give you that my LFS did not advise about the possibilty of raising phosphate when using Reef roids! That was appreciated, but it gets lost in the first 5 posts where you informed me multiple times that everything was dead and there was nothing I could do about it! How about next time you lead with the suggestions and critisize AFTER you know the pearson a little better?! It will make your audience more likely to trust what you are saying. This is coming from a teacher, so it is what I try to do to keep a bunch 12 year olds invested in what I am teaching!! It will help if and when you have children as well ;-)

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, you don't actually read your responses.

And me informing you "multiple times" that "everything" was dead, was infact me telling you THAT frag is dead. Nothing would be able to tolerate ammonia. Asking what test you used because I had a feeling testing error (which I didn't tell you I thought it was testing error, YET)

ANNNNNND the "Multiple" times, was people agreeing with me. Isn't it lovely to have everything in writing when the person arguing with you doesn't actually read or reread?

Good luck teach in the next round.

1623785909216.png

OP
OP
XanderPR

XanderPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And me informing you "multiple times" that "everything" was dead, was infact me telling you THAT frag is dead. Nothing would be able to tolerate ammonia. Asking what test you used because I had a feeling testing error (which I didn't tell you I thought it was testing error, YET)

ANNNNNND the "Multiple" times, was people agreeing with me. Isn't it lovely to have everything in writing when the person arguing with you doesn't actually read or reread?

1623785909216.png
Dan't plan to go any more rounds as I have given too much attention to a person that just wants to make sure everyone knows that I am new and he is not. Thank you for the posts that were helpfull and for trying to explain on page 4. Thank you again Hincapiej, but I think our personalities are definitely not a match and it would probably be a better use of your time if you can go help someone else on another thread. Thank you for you honesty and suggestions (I will be on the lookout for when my parameters star messing with me and will try to keep everything as stable as possible) and I wish the best for you and your tank!!

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1623785909216.png
"I want to help, but I'm not usually going to spend alot of time explaining" is code for "I want to be condescending to a new guy and pretend like I'm actually trying to help."

You started out somewhat helpful letting him know that that frag was too far gone, but since then everything you've said has a condescending tone that seems more targeted at making him feel dumb than helping....

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The truth is I could care less that you're new. I make mistakes too. I have issues in my tank too. Stop being so sensitive. But yea, good luck. You'll figure it out I'm sure.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I want to help, but I'm not usually going to spend alot of time explaining" is code for "I want to be condescending to a new guy and pretend like I'm actually trying to help."

You started out somewhat helpful letting him know that that frag was too far gone, but since then everything you've said has a condescending tone that seems more targeted at making him feel dumb than helping....

You missed the part where he tried to tell me I wasn't helping when I was answering someone elses post. So, yea got irritated, but still tried to help. Just like I don't have to be anything (nice or mean) neither does anyone have to listen to the advice. If it's not sugared enough, sorry, I'll work on being sweeter.

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To mirror what someone else said earlier, I don't think you should get rid of the 75g, it will be much easier to keep stable than your 29g. If you can find a local reefer that can donate a couple of pieces of live rock to seed the 75g it would likely prove a much easier adventure than the 29g. Also in a four foot tank you open the availbility of some bristeletooth tangs and maybe a foxface which can help prevent nuisance algae from ever taking hold in your tank.

OP
OP
XanderPR

XanderPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To mirror what someone else said earlier, I don't think you should get rid of the 75g, it will be much easier to keep stable than your 29g. If you can find a local reefer that can donate a couple of pieces of live rock to seed the 75g it would likely prove a much easier adventure than the 29g. Also in a four foot tank you open the availbility of some bristeletooth tangs and maybe a foxface which can help prevent nuisance algae from ever taking hold in your tank.
Thank you for the livestock suggestion and kind words!! I am going to continue my 75g tank! My wife convinced me not to listen to the negatives and focuson my learning and moving foward. I was planning to start everything from scratch though and just wait the time it takes for everything to cycle (1 year or more) while I work with my 29g seperately and try to save as many corals as possible. Once the 75g is ready for my corals, I would move them over. I had heard that live wet rock can bring pests into the tank. Is there a way to avoid that (without quarantine as I would like to avoid debacle that started this threado_O)?

OP
OP
XanderPR

XanderPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for anyone who would like to help. Getting Brightwell Coral Amino in mail today. Any side effects or drawbacks I should be aware of? I have only heard good things...

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for anyone who would like to help. Getting Brightwell Coral Amino in mail today. Any side effects or drawbacks I should be aware of? I have only heard good things...
The fact is you should not be adding anything g to your tank unless you are also testing for it…..yes will raise nitrates and phosphates so you should be testing for them with good test kits as I’ve already pointed out which ones earlier In This thread

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While you're trying to raise PO4 and NO3, I would discontinue the water changes. The main purpose of water changes is to lower the nutrient level, so you are working against yourself.

A secondary purpose is to replace trace elements, but you don't have enough corals yet for this to be necessary.

Focus your efforts on keeping things the same as much as possible, not looking for things to "fix". Above all else, corals crave stability. They will adjust to a fairly wide range of conditions provided they aren't constantly changing.

And in spite of your best efforts, some things just won't grow until your tank has matured more. Wait until the one year mark, then maybe try a single frag of something new and give it a few weeks before adding anything else.

Remember, nothing good in this hobby happens fast.

OP
OP
XanderPR

XanderPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While you're trying to raise PO4 and NO3, I would discontinue the water changes. The main purpose of water changes is to lower the nutrient level, so you are working against yourself.

A secondary purpose is to replace trace elements, but you don't have enough corals yet for this to be necessary.

Focus your efforts on keeping things the same as much as possible, not looking for things to "fix". Above all else, corals crave stability. They will adjust to a fairly wide range of conditions provided they aren't constantly changing.

And in spite of your best efforts, some things just won't grow until your tank has matured more. Wait until the one year mark, then maybe try a single frag of something new and give it a few weeks before adding anything else.

Remember, nothing good in this hobby happens fast.
Thank you for the info. I will definitely keep that in mind!

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29g and 1 AI prime will grow the acros but they need to be higher up and under your light. You can get a 2nd AI prime and acclimate your softies over time to the light shift and grow SPS in that tank from most anywhere except maybe iffy on the sand bottom. You'd have to test the par.

If you won a radion (i think you mentioned earlier u did) and have that you could always throw that bad boy on your tank as well.

As someone who has your size tank running I would do less water changes
And not feed reef roids as much. Maybe not feed your fish as much either. But definitely cut back on the roids. If you're changing out 30% of your water everywhere and its going up in nitrates that much I think a skimmer and less food for everyone. I would reduce everything and do like 3-5gallon changes

You could also invest in a skimmer they make some that aren't super expensive for this size of water volume that work well enough. (I won't say great)

And if you want to run some type if carbon product just try carbon maybe not with the Phosphate reducers in it unless you get a little better Phosphate test. The Hanna Phosphate checker could be your friend. You can get away with red sea and salifert tests for the rest I like my hanna calc and alk tester as well but I would spend the money on the Phosphate Hanna checker.

I also saw you ask about Live Rock and doesn't it carry pests sometimes.... the answer is yes but I have found that almost everyone in this hobby no matter how hard they try will end up with some pests in their tank. Maybe not aptasia but worms or nuisance star fish. The benefits of good live rock almost always outweigh the bad.

Side bar I think you should keep the 75g and just wait awhile and definitely continue to research and enjoy the hobby and don't let any of the negative people get you down.

If you have any other questions let me know. I can try to give my 2 cents but as you've said you have the coral in your tank and want to do what you can for them.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back