Acropora consumes bacteria?

Yas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know acropora gets most of their energy from photosynthetic zooxanthellae, and the rest of energy by extending its polyps to catch plankton. My question is; does acropora consume bacteria as their food source?

Currently, I've been dosing vodka to my tank as a food source for bacteria so that excessive nutrients, such as NO3 and PO4, are consumed by bacteria and exported by skimmer. I've noticed that my tiny frag, which was introduced in about a month, extends its polyps nicely (not very long though). When I hadn't been dosing vodka, I hadn't seen the same degree of polyp extension. So I wonder if this is the effect of abundant bacteria or just by luck.

I know many reefers who are not dosing any carbon source get nice polyp extension, too. So this could be nothing to do with bacteria abundance.

Compared to plankton, I don't think such single celled organism can provide sufficient nutrition to corals. So, quite honestly, I doubt my assumption myself.

I have two other assumptions.

1. Lighting on my tank is not strong. So, to compensate the lack of photosynthetic energy, my frag extends its polyps to get more energy out of plankton.

2. My tank parameters are fairly stable recently (Alk 6.7, Ca 450, Mg 1350, NO3 9, PO4 0.05 for about a month), and I have no polyp nipping fish. So this is just a result of stability.

Does anybody know if it's something to do or nothing to do with bacteria? I'm just curious if bacteria can be a food source for acropora.

Yas
IMG_20200807_184044.jpg

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to also consider is that not only does carbon dosing fuel bacteria, but then also the organisms that consume bacteria directly, and then those predators. I have carbon dosed for years not for nutrients, but to boost the food web. That acro might not be eating bacteria, but larger micro fauna that are boosted by their own food source.

OP
OP
Yas

Yas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, coral does consume bacteria.
Cheers! Mark
Hi Mark,
I think it makes sense because I believe corals capture what they catch with their tentacles without distinguishing the sizes of prey, whether bacteria or plankton.

OP
OP
Yas

Yas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to also consider is that not only does carbon dosing fuel bacteria, but then also the organisms that consume bacteria directly, and then those predators. I have carbon dosed for years not for nutrients, but to boost the food web. That acro might not be eating bacteria, but larger micro fauna that are boosted by their own food source.
Ah! You are right. Consumption doesn't have to be direct indeed!
Your tank is gorgeous! A dream tank!

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back