Acropora Issue - Please help me identify

mdbronco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a mixed reef with only a few SPS, LPS, and a few softies. All have been progressing reasonably well until 2 days ago when my acropora started to rapidly deteriorate. It's prob a goner (though I need help here too determining when it's time to call time of death), but I'd really like some ideas on what might have gone wrong. Underneath is whitening and seems patchy throughout. I QT all fish and dip all corals.

Calc: 430
Mag: 1500
Alk: 8.5
Salt: 1.026
skimmer: yes
Lighting/placement: AI Hydra 26 (2), halfway up, modified slightly David Saxby settings

I've had the frag for about 3 months with no issue and now this (please see attached) just started two days ago and gets worse by the hour.

Thanks!

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

njb2345

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you p04 and nitrates at?

I am sorry to say but it doesn't look good. That powerhead isn't blowing right on it is it?

OP
OP
M

mdbronco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - nitrates are about 5 but my PO4 kit isn't reliable so I can't test right now. I've been dosing NoPOX for about 9 months however. The PH was actually directly on it as when I went on vacation, my wife moved it slightly when cleaning the glass. So it was hitting it directly for about 3 days only 6 inches away...

njb2345

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok it could of got mad from getting direct flow right out of the power head hitting it. That would be my guess.

They like strong flow but they don't want constant flow hitting them.

MrD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your coral is experiencing Rapid Tissue Necrosis (RTN) brought on by the conditions of your tank (in my experience incorrect/unstable water parameters and extremely high lighting are the most common culprits). In this case, the direct flow could have also caused the issue. If left on its own, the flesh will slough off from the coral's skeleton. This process typically begins at the base of the coral and moves upward towards the tips rapidly. The coral will transform from perfectly normal to completely white in a matter of days.

In some cases, it is possible to save a coral experiencing RTN. To do so, you need to frag the coral well above the point where the skin is sloughing off. It is hard to see exactly where this is on your coral, the RTN appears to have reached the top of the main branch, meaning that part is likely gone. However, the smaller branch on the left of your first photo does not appear to show tissue loss, meaning you may be able to frag and save it.

This is a temporary fix and the underlying issues will eventually need to be addressed. If you aren't already, I suggest you start logging the key water parameters including those you have listed along with temperature, salinity, Nitrate and PO4 twice a week. It took me a long time to learn that success in this hobby is all about stability. Stability requires consistently measuring the key water parameters and staying on top of maintenance, dosing, etc.

Good luck!

OP
OP
M

mdbronco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I think given that the only thing that has changed in the last few months was the PH hitting it, I’ll give fragging a shot to see what happens.

Cheers!

OP
OP
M

mdbronco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a follow-up to this. The frag disk was glued and the coral encrusted over onto the base rock. Since the main drag died I removed, but each day the encrustation is growing wider and higher. What is this? Is it possible the coral is growing back or is this something else?

OP
OP
M

mdbronco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will take some tomorrow (lights off now). At first I wasn't sure but now it's spread both across and vertically.

botheboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a follow-up to this. The frag disk was glued and the coral encrusted over onto the base rock. Since the main drag died I removed, but each day the encrustation is growing wider and higher. What is this? Is it possible the coral is growing back or is this something else?
Has happened to me before.

OP
OP
M

mdbronco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what’s going on. Increases by the day. Apparently this can happen but wasn’t sure in this case and if I should do anything special?

0A2DA054-1AAA-4EED-94BC-A4A30DDE1916.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back