OP
OP
Tdoan

Tdoan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought about bringing the Dkh and cal down but ha e been leery of doing so. When I ran calk that is where it was so I didn’t reduce it.
Thanks for the reply

OP
OP
Tdoan

Tdoan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have a lot going on. I don't think it is Vibrant since your nutrients (specifically your nitrates) are high. Phosphates of .04 are fine. Vibrant can be a danger when running low nutrients due to them bottoming out. When you say the acros are turning white, are they bleaching or just turning pale? I am guessing it is related to the system being new and water chemistry stability.
The are turning white, seem like they are from the bottom up.

OP
OP
Tdoan

Tdoan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High alk combined with low po4 and vibrant is your issue
Thanks for your reply, it is out of balance it seems.
To lower the DKH I have read .5 a day. Do you think this is too much?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let the alk lower naturally. You will be fine.

Kalk is a balanced input source - it does both carbonate and calcium at the same time. If you need one or the other, then baking/washing soda and calcium carbonate is what you need.

Vibrant is basically an algaecide and some organic carbon (ethanol). The issue with organic carbon is that it strips the water column of available nitrogen in the form of ammonia/ammonium and corals basically are deprived. This is what people worry about with lower levels of residual nitrate, but this does not happen. To understand this, you have to step back a bit... corals get most of their nitrogen from ammonia/ammonium, not nitrate. The few that can use nitrate have to spend/waste energy converting it back to ammonia, which is not ideal... and not even all corals can do this. ...so the important thing is to have ammonia/ammonium available for corals to have. Enter Vibrant and other forms of organic carbon which cause waterborne bacteria to multiply - these bacteria will also consume ammonia and outcompete the corals. Whatever happens to the residual no3 levels is of no consequence. In the end, you want high availability through lots of fish feeding combined with lots of export to keep the residual levels from getting out of control. Without available nitrogen, it does not really matter what your no3 tests levels are.

OP
OP
Tdoan

Tdoan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let the alk lower naturally. You will be fine.

Kalk is a balanced input source - it does both carbonate and calcium at the same time. If you need one or the other, then baking/washing soda and calcium carbonate is what you need.

Vibrant is basically an algaecide and some organic carbon (ethanol). The issue with organic carbon is that it strips the water column of available nitrogen in the form of ammonia/ammonium and corals basically are deprived. This is what people worry about with lower levels of residual nitrate, but this does not happen. To understand this, you have to step back a bit... corals get most of their nitrogen from ammonia/ammonium, not nitrate. The few that can use nitrate have to spend/waste energy converting it back to ammonia, which is not ideal... and not even all corals can do this. ...so the important thing is to have ammonia/ammonium available for corals to have. Enter Vibrant and other forms of organic carbon which cause waterborne bacteria to multiply - these bacteria will also consume ammonia and outcompete the corals. Whatever happens to the residual no3 levels is of no consequence. In the end, you want high availability through lots of fish feeding combined with lots of export to keep the residual levels from getting out of control. Without available nitrogen, it does not really matter what your no3 tests levels are.
Thank for the formation, I am feeding a combination of pellets and flake 2 times each day in small amounts. And Sunday and Wednesday I feed frozen food and reef roids.
I have been slowly increasing my lights intensity and am almost up to 90%. I can see one of the acros starting to gain color.
it Is all learning for me, the entire reason for this tank is to learn as much as possible before I invest in a large tank as a focal point of the house.
thanks for the information.

OP
OP
Tdoan

Tdoan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update
So my acros have made a turn around. They have gained the color back and are doing much better. The only thing I did was to add carbon to the sump and increase the intensity of my lights.
all other parameters are the same.

Tuan Vu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you mean GFO? Or carbon really did the trick for you?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back