Acropora Propagation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMGP0334~4.JPG

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can I find these Acros? I haven't seen them on your website.

This is an informational thread and not meant as direct sales thread. Frags of these colonies are offered for sale periodically as well as frags from many other colonies growing in our greenhouse.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding is critical to long term success. We grow a variety of phytoplankton, rotifers, pods, and brine shrimp. Each phytoplankton has a different nutritional profile and multiple cultures of brine shrimp, rotifers, and pods are grown using a variety of phytoplankton. We are fortunate to be able to work closely with the University of Maryland both at Salisbury University and their Center for Environmental Science at Horn Point. We can obtain 20+ different cultures and grow our own including unique blends.

20190702_122434~2.jpg
20190702_122310~2.jpg
20190702_122351.jpg

Here are some continuous batches of live foods we grow. Densities are high and we feed it fresh daily. We feed late at night when polyps are open and receptive.
What do you feed acros? All of the above? Rotifers only or both rotifers and pods blend? Are acros able to consume brine shrimp?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PacificEastAquaculture - Thanks for sharing this. I love seeing how we can take unorthodox methods and completely flip the table, and still see wonderful results. Looks like a bit of work but I bet it’s fun and rewarding.

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you feed acros? All of the above? Rotifers only or both rotifers and pods blend? Are acros able to consume brine shrimp?

Combination of rotifers, pods, brine shrimp-all life stages all of those fed different phytoplanktons.

smilinteddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful. Do these acros grown under sunlight have a harder time adjusting to aquarium lighting than corals aquacultured under t5/halide/LED?

Is the glass for your greenhouse untreated glass? As in it doesn't block any UV rays or otherwise? Not familiar with greenhouse glass if it's the same as used for home windows or car windshields etc. My transition glasses never trigger in the car because there is a UV blocking coating or something, so I wasn't sure about the type of glass used for the greenhouse.

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful. Do these acros grown under sunlight have a harder time adjusting to aquarium lighting than corals aquacultured under t5/halide/LED?

Is the glass for your greenhouse untreated glass? As in it doesn't block any UV rays or otherwise? Not familiar with greenhouse glass if it's the same as used for home windows or car windshields etc. My transition glasses never trigger in the car because there is a UV blocking coating or something, so I wasn't sure about the type of glass used for the greenhouse.

We have another entire system indoors with LED lighting. Corals from the greenhouse are transitioned into the LED lighting.
20180526_104204~3.jpg

U

User1

View Badges
I check for your threads daily here. Not so much for the corals (those are really nice) but to catch updates on threads like these or the videos you post. I find them really interesting personally and I always enjoy them. I know people probably don't see it this way but it is a form of sustainable crops for a hobby and/or environment similar to agriculture for feeding the worlds population. There is a lot going on here in order to be successful.

I wish this was on the West Coast and near me so I could volunteer or visit as my career winds down. Keep up the great work and again thanks for sharing. Really neat what you are doing.

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I check for your threads daily here. Not so much for the corals (those are really nice) but to catch updates on threads like these or the videos you post. I find them really interesting personally and I always enjoy them. I know people probably don't see it this way but it is a form of sustainable crops for a hobby and/or environment similar to agriculture for feeding the worlds population. There is a lot going on here in order to be successful.

I wish this was on the West Coast and near me so I could volunteer or visit as my career winds down. Keep up the great work and again thanks for sharing. Really neat what you are doing.

Thanks! It's my little tropical paradise. And who would have thunk, its in the tiny town of Mardela Springs on Maryland's Eastern Shore. A few weeks ago we counted 543 different corals we propagate now.

IMGP0484~2.JPG
IMGP0492~2.JPG
IMGP0491~2.JPG
IMGP0490~2.JPG
IMGP0488~2.JPG
IMGP0496~2.JPG
IMGP0495~2.JPG
IMGP0493~2.JPG
IMGP0485~2.JPG

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Stunning inventory and specimens !!

Last edited:

IndyReef78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It's my little tropical paradise. And who would have thunk, its in the tiny town of Mardela Springs on Maryland's Eastern Shore. A few weeks ago we counted 543 different corals we propagate now.

IMGP0484~2.JPG
IMGP0492~2.JPG
IMGP0491~2.JPG
IMGP0490~2.JPG
IMGP0488~2.JPG
IMGP0496~2.JPG
IMGP0495~2.JPG
IMGP0493~2.JPG
IMGP0485~2.JPG
I grew up in the town next to you, Delmar, DE, and my family still lives there! Do you have a store front? What a small world!

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back