OP
chcgregg

chcgregg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is absolutely no evidence that it is required for acropora and many other corals outside of NPS. Desired is a different question of which I have never seen a good answer. All of my experience has grown many tanks wall-to-wall with acropora (to where you have to start over) without me feeding anything - no idea if the corals catch food in some other way.

What always amazes me when this topic comes up is that people are so concerned with "feeding" their corals, yet they could get much more mileage out of their lights. So many people run cut-spectrum and low wattage lighting and either forgot, or never understood, that this is what generates the true food (through the zoox). You get arguments like "it is enough" or "just fine" with the lighting choices, but with using a "coral food" or other "supplement" people are looking for the ultimate. Why the difference?

Post up those studies... all would probably like to see.

What lighting were you using in those tanks, mate? I have a good feeling metal halide?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. 14k Phoenix on m80 and some 20k Radiums also on m80. Have a few T5s on some frag tanks and fuges. I have a pile of used LEDs that did not make it out of the frag room.

For me, light is #1 by a mile and I would suggest that people spend every penny that they drop on Reef Roids, Acropower, etc. on more/better light. ...it just seems to do more... more/better light and more growth and color where as more "coral food" did nothing in my tanks over the years.

I remember an article in Tropical Fish Hobbyist in the early 1990s about how you need to feed yeast. Then DT phyto, oyster eggs, marine snow, dead zooplankton, etc. Those are all now jokes/punchlines. Acropower, Red Sea, Reef Roids will all be punchlines some day too. It seems like over the twenty-five years that I have been doing this, the hot "food" of the day is tomorrows joke.

OP
OP
chcgregg

chcgregg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral suspension feeding on fine particulate matter:

Feeding behaviors of three tropical scleractinian corals in captivity:

Influence of different food sources on the initial development of sexual recruits of reefbuilding corals in aquaculture:

Give those a read, interesting results in all of them.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the first link, the study is based on estimates, the word “may” being used a lot with no conclusion being made. The second link showed that the use of artemia salina showed the most growth and/or survival rate. But one thing I would question - as the ones being fed nori - is if phosphates and nitrates were being added as a result of brine shrimp being added. If the Nori tank had low or zero levels because food wasn’t really being added to the tank, is this the reason why? In a typical tank, we feed our fish and our fish feed our corals. I typically only feed my NPS corals. I don’t feed LPS because I don’t really care about growth in them. They’re big enough. For SPS, I wish they were bigger but I just let them be. I know we want to feed corals to make them grow as it’s hard to believe light alone can feed them, but I’ve never fed or even tried to feed SPS. My various montis grow like crazy. Seriatopora too. Acros is a different story.

OP
OP
chcgregg

chcgregg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the first link, the study is based on estimates, the word “may” being used a lot with no conclusion being made. The second link showed that the use of artemia salina showed the most growth and/or survival rate. But one thing I would question - as the ones being fed nori - is if phosphates and nitrates were being added as a result of brine shrimp being added. If the Nori tank had low or zero levels because food wasn’t really being added to the tank, is this the reason why? In a typical tank, we feed our fish and our fish feed our corals. I typically only feed my NPS corals. I don’t feed LPS because I don’t really care about growth in them. They’re big enough. For SPS, I wish they were bigger but I just let them be. I know we want to feed corals to make them grow as it’s hard to believe light alone can feed them, but I’ve never fed or even tried to feed SPS. My various montis grow like crazy. Seriatopora too. Acros is a different story.

Interesting point you raise! It is worth thinking about.

TexasReefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That 'coral food' is much much too large for acropora sp. corals. That looks like something a brain or chalice coral would eat readily though.

For acros and most sps, think bacterial or sub-40 micron in size. Target feeding discourages capture and retention of captured material, even if it is biologically nutritious. In fact, the millepora behavior was almost identical to predation anxiety corals exhibit when parrotfish are nearby.

What is this Predation Anxiety that you mentioned? I'm wondering if this is a similar mechanism to when a pygmy angelfish is kept with acropora and they cease extending daytime polyps... Even with little to no nipping.

... Just thinking out loud.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this Predation Anxiety that you mentioned? I'm wondering if this is a similar mechanism to when a pygmy angelfish is kept with acropora and they cease extending daytime polyps... Even with little to no nipping.

... Just thinking out loud.

This is exactly the case. Corals can detect chemical cues, and in response to 'nipping', they will retract polyps, often far away from any actual predation.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some good evidence of what types of foods help acropora are the blue coral method and carbon source tanks that feed extremely heavy. In both of these types of systems you can see the tanks running very well off of lots of food. The blue coral method might not be feeding the acropora first hand but the amount of food going into the system is being used and the acropora clearly benefit from it and maybe the small amount of sugar that was used in the food. Some of those staghorn colonies were just mind blowing. I wonder how many are still trying to feed papone to their systems. I don’t think we will find any foods that acropora clearly benefit from catching anytime soon other than bacteria.

TexasReefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a long time since I've heard the Pappone method mentioned! I wonder what was the inspiration/thinking behind that approach? Assuming that the photos are honest, those are impressive results.

I'm not convinced either that adult Acropora actually eat, macroscopically, for any amount of their nutrition. The videos that purport to show them eating actually appear not to, in my opinion. I have the impression that acropora eating is a vestigial apparatus/behavior (like goosebumps on humans).

When I look at an acropora colony I see a huge amount of surface area. I see a fractal pattern with various levels of branching, the scutes around each polyp and finally the polyps themselves. Also, the entire skeleton of acropora stays covered in live tissue, unlike LPS corals. ...Huge surface area. "Eating polyps" like scolymia and lobo's don't have this.

Huge surface area suggests to me that these corals are built to ABSORB food. We already dose simple compounds like AA's, Nitrate, phosphate, and products like Red Sea Reef Energy (Carbohydrates, lipids, vitamins, etc). I suspect they're also able to absorb more complex compounds. I've read before that corals will take up Nitrate and Phosphate but prefer organically bound P and N. The organic molecule doing the binding could be a huge number of possibilities both large and small. But it's not eaten, it's absorbed.

Pappone is blended for a total of 15 minutes (meaning it's warm) with sugar (bacterial food). I suspect that there's a certain amount of bacterial metabolism going on there. Maybe it's the by-products of the bacterial metabolism that the corals absorb along with solublized components of the shrimp, oysters, etc.

TexasReefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly the case. Corals can detect chemical cues, and in response to 'nipping', they will retract polyps, often far away from any actual predation.

Sounds like I need to scoop out my dwarf angel if I ever want any daytime polyp extention. I wonder if "predation anxiety" acts like a chronic stressor to acropora that would harm their health over the long run?

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome video , I target feed every coral we own . I am also the guy who brought cyclopseaze into alot of my lfs and hobby stores to show them waaaaay back in the day somewhere around 20 yrs ago ( weeps a tear for cyclopseaze ) . We all saw the active feeding response of our SPS and it does make a massive differance in color and health. Lately we do it with reef roids. But we still feed the slurry with everything down to rotifer size in there ,,also finding the new apex pods to be stellar for sps live feeding. Also if you have "active stripping" in place like GFO ,phosban , skimmer ect , you will have less zoaplankton in the W C and they wont PE as much . Berlin system is HEAVY in HEAVY out, thats how they get siiiiick PE there is always a massive nute level in the WC ( not the latent reading ) we take in the testing. I hope this makes sense. Anybody who has ever shot reef roids over a open mille colony knows exactly what im talking about its so cool . The places these come from have zoaplankton sqaulls on a nightly basis where the whole wc is food for a few mins.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a long time since I've heard the Pappone method mentioned! I wonder what was the inspiration/thinking behind that approach? Assuming that the photos are honest, those are impressive results.

I'm not convinced either that adult Acropora actually eat, macroscopically, for any amount of their nutrition. The videos that purport to show them eating actually appear not to, in my opinion. I have the impression that acropora eating is a vestigial apparatus/behavior (like goosebumps on humans).

When I look at an acropora colony I see a huge amount of surface area. I see a fractal pattern with various levels of branching, the scutes around each polyp and finally the polyps themselves. Also, the entire skeleton of acropora stays covered in live tissue, unlike LPS corals. ...Huge surface area. "Eating polyps" like scolymia and lobo's don't have this.

Huge surface area suggests to me that these corals are built to ABSORB food. We already dose simple compounds like AA's, Nitrate, phosphate, and products like Red Sea Reef Energy (Carbohydrates, lipids, vitamins, etc). I suspect they're also able to absorb more complex compounds. I've read before that corals will take up Nitrate and Phosphate but prefer organically bound P and N. The organic molecule doing the binding could be a huge number of possibilities both large and small. But it's not eaten, it's absorbed.

Pappone is blended for a total of 15 minutes (meaning it's warm) with sugar (bacterial food). I suspect that there's a certain amount of bacterial metabolism going on there. Maybe it's the by-products of the bacterial metabolism that the corals absorb along with solublized components of the shrimp, oysters, etc.

Well said, I would also encourage anyone not familiar with papone and the blu coral method to look it up. Amazing colonies that you just don’t much see these days.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like I need to scoop out my dwarf angel if I ever want any daytime polyp extention. I wonder if "predation anxiety" acts like a chronic stressor to acropora that would harm their health over the long run?

Coral beauty has been in our 75g prior to any acroporas and it never effected polyp extension. I've never witnessed it nipping at the corals though. Our yellow tang and foxface nipped at them daily but still never had a reaction that wasn't localized to the specific spot on the coral.

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be feeding in the night/dark cycle, that's when they are in "feed mode" the axial corallite polyps will be fully extended, unlike radial polyps, axials contain little, if any zooxanthellae, they are specifically for food capture.

very cool experiment! please keep us updated!
Do you have a specific food recommendation for different species of acro's? Food wise is an acro an acro, or do they benefit differently?

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I filmed a few species of the Acropora I keep to see what their response was to being target fed Ocean Nutrition's 'Reef Pulse'. The Acropora didn't seem to directly ingest any of the food, but did capture some, only to release it with mucus a few moments after being filmed.

I will be testing other foods in the future with more of a scientific basis and which provide evidence as to capturing, ingesting, and digesting foods.

feel free to watch the video!

Does anyone here target feed their Acropora? What do you use if you do?

Regards,
Callan

It's been a bit over a year. I am wondering if you continued with this research and what your further findings were.

OP
OP
chcgregg

chcgregg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a bit over a year. I am wondering if you continued with this research and what your further findings were.
And a year after your post, haha! I actually closed the system down shortly after the video as life got in the way. But I have restarted a small 220 litre system with Acropora.

Need to get them healthy and growing (it’s a very young system so keeping everything stable initially is very important), after that I’ll revisit it! I don’t believe that artificial foods are actually ingested by Acropora, however the Australian Institute for Marine Science did a study and found that Raw unfiltered sea water provided the best results for growth versus Filtered seawater, rotifers, and their own particular coral food.

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think bakers yeast and Artemia nauplii are the only two prepared food to have been shown to affect coral growth. Since I learned about the backyard culture method for Tigriopus, I'm curious as to whether they would be an effective coral food, particularly for young corals.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video! What particulate food was that?
"Acropora millepora from the spawning on 11/21, settled, symbionts uptaken, eating Golden Pearls 5-50 microns in the Secret Home Lab. Sped up 600%. Watermark is approx 1mm for scale"

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back