Feeding recommendations.

foxyfuchsbau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my 32.5g, I have mostly LPS, hammers (wall and branching), and soft/Mushrooms and zoas. With the exception of my setosa montipora (SPS). It was originally sold as an encrusting and said it might be SPS at checkout, so I did some digging and research and we are managing! (I was scared to get any SPS.)

Anyways. I struggle most with feeding it seems. (Both fish and corals). It feels like either not enough or too much. My fish are fine and happy, that's not of my concern here. But corals...

Would this amount, all mixed together except the AB+, for target feeding, once a week be over kill? I cut the recommendation for roids in half due to adding the oyster and pyhto in.
1000011439.jpg

I do have enough light, still adjusting the levels up from adding my second light. All my corals ARE happy. My parameters salinity/calc/dkh/mag are beautiful, my phosphates and nitrates go up and down regardless of how much I decrease feeding or do water changes (which are weekly). I do have a protein skimmer and refugium with chaeto that I run at night. No algae problems.

I know they say not to CHASE numbers and I try not to get hung up on that, so I'm just ensuring corals, fish, invertebrates are all happy and managing the numbers from that point.

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nitrates and phosphates will tell you if you are feeding too much. Perhaps spread the feeding out for stability. How old is the tank?

OP
OP
foxyfuchsbau

foxyfuchsbau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If everything is happy why change anything?
I agree with that! Just ensuring that every living creature has sufficient and adequate food source. From my research SPS required a bit more and I didn't see much research on the roids being fed/enough for SPS.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS needs very specifically sized foods for them to be of any benefit, but from what you said you have a single piece of montipora...

OP
OP
foxyfuchsbau

foxyfuchsbau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nitrates and phosphates will tell you if you are feeding too much. Perhaps spread the feeding out for stability. How old is the tank?
I feed my fish midday and my corals usually in the evening. Is that what you mean?

About a month or 2 back when I first started using the reefroids I accidentally fed daily for almost a week. I had the start of hair algae but with my turbo snail, urchin and blenny, along with 2 35-45% water changes in a week and major decrease in feeding (50% for fish and once a week for coral), everything balanced out.... But my phosphates just.. stay higher than previously, between .6-1.0 prior to my mistake on reefroids it stayed around .15-.25 and my nitrates 10-30, they've always tested the same range.

OP
OP
foxyfuchsbau

foxyfuchsbau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS needs very specifically sized foods for them to be of any benefit, but from what you said you have a single piece of montipora...
SPS terrify me. They are beautiful and I just don't trust myself with its beautiful life so I'm second guessing everything. Anxiety is fun. I apologize if it sounds dumb!

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my fish midday and my corals usually in the evening. Is that what you mean?

About a month or 2 back when I first started using the reefroids I accidentally fed daily for almost a week. I had the start of hair algae but with my turbo snail, urchin and blenny, along with 2 35-45% water changes in a week and major decrease in feeding (50% for fish and once a week for coral), everything balanced out.... But my phosphates just.. stay higher than previously, between .6-1.0 prior to my mistake on reefroids it stayed around .15-.25 and my nitrates 10-30, they've always tested the same range.
I was under the impression that you do it all in one day so spreading it out over the week might cause less fluctuations.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were it me, i would just feed the fish 2x a day and corals optional when you feel they need some extra love. I noticed the same with reef-roids. They jacked up my po4 pretty quick with no noticable coral difference (except my dendro. It is gaga for them so i still dust him a bit once in a while. But mostly it gets mysis and clam). With that high of levels i would cut coral feeding for a few weeks and watch for stuff to trend down with your current maintenance schedule.

OP
OP
foxyfuchsbau

foxyfuchsbau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression that you do it all in one day so spreading it out over the week might cause less fluctuations.
Oh! I mix all those amounts in a small amount of tank water together and target feed all my corals one by one, once a week. I shut off all pumps for roughly 15 mins maybe. Usually they've all actively eaten by the time I turn them all back on.

OP
OP
foxyfuchsbau

foxyfuchsbau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were it me, i would just feed the fish 2x a day and corals optional when you feel they need some extra love. I noticed the same with reef-roids. They jacked up my po4 pretty quick with no noticable coral difference (except my dendro. It is gaga for them so i still dust him a bit once in a while. But mostly it gets mysis and clam). With that high of levels i would cut coral feeding for a few weeks and watch for stuff to trend down with your current maintenance schedule.
I've read that about reef roids! Appreciate the feedback!

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Specific to Setosa, from my experience they do not like sinking or oscillating PO4 in the 0.03-0.08 range and they tend to do better when PO4 is around 0.1 level. For NO3 any number between 1-10 seemed to work for me.

Here is a picture of my Setosa before I had tank accident:
1692413398839.jpeg

When things are not going well they tend to become pale/decline quickly and there is not much time to react when compared to LPS and even some across.

Good luck,

turtlewax2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS terrify me. They are beautiful and I just don't trust myself with its beautiful life so I'm second guessing everything. Anxiety is fun. I apologize if it sounds dumb!
Some sps are easier than others, I told myself no never would get into sticks but so far they are great.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 110 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back