Acropora Tissue Recession... need experts here plz.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7830d135c2b2416c2d75db6c1afcda81.jpg

IMG_1781.jpg

MARK M. DAVIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Icp looks okay and nothing sticks out regarding recession. What do you use for dip?

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your other Acro's doing ?

They all look great, even the ones that are losing tissue.

The progression is always the same, recession starts at the base and works its way up the coral. I’ve fragged some colonies and about 20% of the pieces seem to do ok. Others end up with base recession and end up dying.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I was hoping to be able to update this thread with good news, unfortunately I'm still losing acro's due to tissue recession at the base. At this point I know my parameters are solid as I've made the small corrections in parameters that Triton found lacking; iron, potassium, and strontium and still am experiencing loses. I'm either dealing with a water flow, pest, or lighting issue. It's hard to fathom that any of these things are the culprit; however, it's the only thing besides disease that is could be causing tissue recession. I'm not eliminating disease as an option, but I really don't see how I could check or treat for one, if disease is the problem then I'm screwed. My nutrients seem fine.

Flow: A few acros that seem to be in crazy high flow areas are doing well - I wonder if my idea of high flow is off base?
Pests: I can't seem to find any pests no matter how much I observe or dip.
Light: I'm using MH, but maybe my bulbs are sh%t? The reefbrite twin arcs may have lost punch quicker than expected? I noticed this issue when the bulbs were just about 6 months old or maybe even younger. I just ordered a Hamilton 10k bulb and will install it in one of the pendants and observe for changes.
Nutrients: I've got .03 p04 and about .02 Nitrate.... nutrients have risen since I introduced the Harlequin Tusk as I've been feeding whole silversides and clams to the pig, that fish can swallow a silverside whole! My LPS could not look any happier so nutrients must be ok, they are full and have great color and are growing fast. I've got a pink bubble coral the size of a cantaloupe, a truly amazing coral.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was just one or two, I would chalk it up to the ominous devils share (for those whiskey and bourbon drinkers out there). It sounds like you have a constant stream of them having this issue, right?

I think a large WC might be in order to rule out toxins/undesirables in the water.

Do you have a FTS or picture of more of the healthy and unhealthy corals?

MARK M. DAVIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, FTS would be helpful in your case. You said you do feed coral? Benepets, Reef chili, oyster feast, reef plankton, reef roids...I feed! Not a lot, but, I feed. Pests: You would be able to see, with a magnifier, pests or eggs on white areas of they dying coral. DIPS: Dr. G, Reef dip, Coral RX and Revive.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad you tested them but we want to know what they are at please.

The results of those tests are in the post below the one you replied to: Po4: .03 Nitrate: .02.

Also what is your flow like?

two gyre 250's, 1 tunze stream 3 and a lone Coral Box Nano... Some areas have high flow and other have fairly low.
I’m glad you tested them but we want to know what they are at please.

I think a large WC might be in order to rule out toxins/undesirables in the water.
Triton ICP came back with no heavy metals. I run carbon as well. What kind of toxins were you thinking?

Do you have a FTS or picture of more of the healthy and unhealthy corals?

I'll post them soon.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one is tough. Wish I could help more. Sure seems like it must be a pest of some sort but sounds like that's been ruled out. Is the flow lower on the bases that have died off?

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a bunch of photos... some are doing really well and growing and others are loosing tissue. Even the corals losing tissue look really good until they die.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one is tough. Wish I could help more. Sure seems like it must be a pest of some sort but sounds like that's been ruled out. Is the flow lower on the bases that have died off?

I would say that the flow at some of the bases is a little low, but what I call low flow some one might think is high.... really hard to tell.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back