Acropora white bugs

brewandreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an outbreak of some white bugs on one of my acros that spread through the tank. Severely affected PE and I could swear I could see bite marks on the tissues. Treated the tank with Dr G's at 2 ml per gallon and all seems well now. Here's a video of the little buggers.

Attachments

• video_converter__1578876552098.mov
    12.8 MB

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what coral it came in on, and the vender you received it from? I had these on one of my pieces (tyree ultimate stag), noticed and nuke them with dr. G's as well in September. Haven't seen them since and the coral in question recovered quickly, I have my suspicions as to where they came from.

flyfisherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
nasty!

Any idea what coral it came in on, and the vender you received it from? I had these on one of my pieces (tyree ultimate stag), noticed and nuke them with dr. G's as well in September. Haven't seen them since and the coral in question recovered quickly, I have my suspicions as to where they came from.

whos the vendor?!

OP
OP
brewandreef

brewandreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I know exactly which frag the bugs came in on because it was the only one that wouldn't extend polyps, and it was supposed to be blue but was more of a brownish purple. I started wondering why and after looking closely I saw these on there. At first I thought they were just harmless copepods, but then they started to spread to other frags. But I would never call anyone out on here. If anything it's my fault for not properly QT'ing the coral.

Still though, all you ever hear about is either red bugs or AEFW. There's not too much of a spotlight on other acropora pests. At least we know Dr. G's coral dip works when you can't get your hands on some interceptor. I had 0 losses.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I know exactly which frag the bugs came in on because it was the only one that wouldn't extend polyps, and it was supposed to be blue but was more of a brownish purple. I started wondering why and after looking closely I saw these on there. At first I thought they were just harmless copepods, but then they started to spread to other frags. But I would never call anyone out on here. If anything it's my fault for not properly QT'ing the coral.

Still though, all you ever hear about is either red bugs or AEFW. There's not too much of a spotlight on other acropora pests. At least we know Dr. G's coral dip works when you can't get your hands on some interceptor. I had 0 losses.

I got Montipora eating nudis from someone here. They denied it despite the montipora being the only one in my tank and they showed up right after getting the montipora.

I had no way to prove it so I just let it go. Couldn’t beat the nudis and lost the coral.

OP
OP
brewandreef

brewandreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got Montipora eating nudis from someone here. They denied it despite the montipora being the only one in my tank and they showed up right after getting the montipora.

I had no way to prove it so I just let it go. Couldn’t beat the nudis and lost the coral.

That's a bummer. I've yet to encounter these and I hope I never do. I've heard they're almost impossible to get rid of.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s a hobbiest that’s selling a lot of coral on here while saying they are pest free corals you should tell them at the least. I hope no one else gets them but pests transfer through vendors and hobbiests just as much as from people buying wild corals, more so ime honestly.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a bummer. I've yet to encounter these and I hope I never do. I've heard they're almost impossible to get rid of.

I dipped and brushed and dipped and brushed. It’s never ending and once discouragement sets in, they’re done for. I should have QT the montipora, but trusted that people here wouldn’t sell corals with pests like that.

Frag_mad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys and gals. Looking for some help please Which dr g’s was used? I’m in the uk and can’t seem to find it. Been battling these white bugs for 5 months. Do interceptor dips coral looks fine then 5 weeks later they’re back. Don’t really want to interceptor the whole tank

2A84900E-2C14-4306-ABFE-E30A7E7DEEEF.jpeg

Last edited:

Frag_mad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally my own fault as came from a garage seller and didn’t dip

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frag mad, are thoes bugs that you can see moving about the coral or are they filaments that just stay out all the time? Hard to see from the pic.

OP
OP
brewandreef

brewandreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought mine off of ebay. I'm not sure if it's available in the UK though. It has the same ingredient as interceptor, so if you have interceptor, it's best just to use that.
Only way to completely get rid of them from your tank is to treat the whole tank. I treated once and they never came back. Corals are much happier now.

20200308_084304.jpg

Frag_mad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see them actively moving but when I look the next day they have always moved

Frag_mad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frag mad, are thoes bugs that you can see moving about the coral or are they filaments that just stay out all the time? Hard to see from the pic.

I don't see them actively moving but when I look the next day they have always moved

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea they probably go away at night and will show up in different spots everytime , maybe you might not need interceptor?

Frag_mad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea they probably go away at night and will show up in different spots everytime , maybe you might not need interceptor?
How do you mean not need it? They are definitely affecting the coral, it lost colour and polyp extension.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s just filaments it’s just the coral showing it’s stressed. And the white strings will go away when you fix what’s stressing the coral. Need a better pic to id.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back