Acropora with salinity difference. Drip or not to drip?

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you all drip acclimate your acros? Ive always dripped all of my corals but ive heard some say its unnecessary and just stresses them out more. Im starting to rethink dripping. But this new batch of acro (40 min drive) came with a 0.005 salinity difference. So my question is at what salinity difference do you all start dripping or just dunk them in your tank?

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually just temperature acclimate them then dip them and finally just drop them into the tank .

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a 0.005 difference would be fine then with no drip even with more finicky sps?
I'm pretty sure there was more than a 0.005 salinity difference between the LFS and my tank, but I never checked to be honest. Main priority was to dip for 8min then get the coral in the tank ASAP, followed by closely monitoring my parrotfish to ensure he didn't go after it or inadvertently knock it over (he did).

PAR was around 250 at my LFS and it's probably closer to 175-200 in my tank, so we'll see if this will be enough (I have other SPS that seem to do fine).

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a 0.005 difference would be fine then with no drip even with more finicky sps?
I have never experienced much of a salinity difference, but to be safe and as you mentioned that you have done it before I would say drop acclimate them just because that the salinity difference is a bit huge .

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure there was more than a 0.005 salinity difference between the LFS and my tank, but I never checked to be honest. Main priority was to dip for 8min then get the coral in the tank ASAP, followed by closely monitoring my parrotfish to ensure he didn't go after it or inadvertently knock it over (he did).

PAR was around 250 at my LFS and it's probably closer to 175-200 in my tank, so we'll see if this will be enough (I have other SPS that seem to do fine).
Goodluck to your new corals. I decided to do a drip on this batch but i think if the salinity difference is not too bad ill try just dipping them and in they go.
I have never experienced much of a salinity difference, but to be safe and as you mentioned that you have done it before I would say drop acclimate them just because that the salinity difference is a bit huge .
Just finished acclamation and dipping, temperature difference was so bad that i had to float them after the dip (in clean water). some of the polyps are already out, so far so good!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back