OP
Z

Zach Hart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a high range Hanna nitrate checker and it’s testing 0 nitrate. My phosphate checker is saying 0.11

Andyf30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a high range Hanna nitrate checker and it’s testing 0 nitrate. My phosphate checker is saying 0.11
0 Nitrates will definitely cause some coloring and health issues in acros (not to mention possibly a dino outbreak) .11 is fine for Phos, but to keep it balanced you'll need 5-10 ppm nitrate to make sure the nutrients are in a good ratio.

OP
OP
Z

Zach Hart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 Nitrates will definitely cause some coloring and health issues in acros (not to mention possibly a dino outbreak) .11 is fine for Phos, but to keep it balanced you'll need 5-10 ppm nitrate to make sure the nutrients are in a good ratio.
Do you think it’s worth dosing nitrates like neonitro?

Andyf30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it’s worth dosing nitrates like neonitro?
I would and make sure you follow their instructions closely. Once you saturate the water the level will climb quickly, so go slow and trust that it will increase. Seen some cases where folks don’t see it go up, knee jerk add double the dose, and suddenly theyre at 20-30 ppm nitrate not the 10 they were shooting for

OP
OP
Z

Zach Hart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would and make sure you follow their instructions closely. Once you saturate the water the level will climb quickly, so go slow and trust that it will increase. Seen some cases where folks don’t see it go up, knee jerk add double the dose, and suddenly theyre at 20-30 ppm nitrate not the 10 they were shooting for
Ok cheers will get some soon

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I’m new to keeping Acroporas having kept lps and other sps before happy and thriving before. However, as you can see from the pictures I attach I have a couple acros that seem to be doing well such as the green slimer which has coloured up nicely and another coral which is growing and regaining its colour. However the majority look either bleached of colour or have turned a light pinkish colour but still showing their polyps. What could be the reason for this? I also have a clam (5 months) which seems to be doing well if that gives you an indication of overall water stability and conditions. Thanks

tank has only recently been fully stocked with 12 fish in a reefer 250
Nitrate is 5ppm
Phosphate is 0.08 ppm
Alk varies from 8.3-8.7 (using Neptune trident)
Calcium 440
Magnesium 1320
Tank is 7 months old
Acros have pretty much looked like this since I got them for 3 or 4 months

21E9F8A6-4FDC-4775-B784-28C722DFD2B2.jpeg 147102A3-CBFD-4143-A35D-F3F9601E9670.jpeg 4E6572CE-7436-486C-B24D-C9B2ED95A802.jpeg 90ED8A26-84E1-47DF-A8F7-D60D7060A0D0.jpeg 5E76F56E-D1A4-4D9B-96A1-6CE8E22BD43F.jpeg
Where, in the UK, are you based? I had a number of issues myself but then found ‘Living Reef Aquatics’ in Dartford, Kent. Fabulous shop, and people, who helped me get my lights, flow and husbandry spot on for keeping acropora.

Confidence was derived from the fact they farm their own corals too. I know, from experience , finding somewhere you can go and talk (face to face) in detail, about what is going on is hard to find - this is now the only place I visit.

OP
OP
Z

Zach Hart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where, in the UK, are you based? I had a number of issues myself but then found ‘Living Reef Aquatics’ in Dartford, Kent. Fabulous shop, and people, who helped me get my lights, flow and husbandry spot on for keeping acropora.

Confidence was derived from the fact they farm their own corals too. I know, from experience , finding somewhere you can go and talk (face to face) in detail, about what is going on is hard to find - this is now the only place I visit.
Yes I go there all the time too what are the chances

OP
OP
Z

Zach Hart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raising the nitrates have done it. Colours slowly coming back thanks everyone

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 25

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back