Acrylic and eshopps overflow adhesive

Lewloc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank I am setting up that was pre-drilled years ago incorrectly for the eshopps eclipse overflow. The common issue you see with that overflow, holes too low, water lever below the trim. The open top of the overflow is below the trim so there are not a lot of easy fixes that I can think of to raise the water.

I have fabbed an "acrylic cover" that will wrap around the factory overflow and be an inch of so taller.

My question is, will silicone hold the cover in place without leaking or do I need to use weldon? Yes I know silicone is not the best for acrylic and I know it can work "OK" for acrylic baffles in a glass sump. Just seeing if anyone has any acrylic to acrylic non structural experience or long term knowledge.

Plus side to silicone is the mod is reversible. So I could reuse the overflow on a new tank with correctly drilled holes, if it looks bad, functions bad, etc.

mtfitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not chance it, it is prone to leak while you are sleeping.

OP
OP
L

Lewloc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm concerned with also raising the inner water level higher than the outer box. Too many risks imo.

I'll just build a canopy that extends a little lower and cover the gap that way. Easy fix

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I installed the eshopps L overflow box and ran into the same problem.
So what I did was to get a 1/8" thick piece of acrylic 1-1/2" wide by the length of the box. I positioned it in place on the inside of the box, so it would raise the water level up high enough so the water line went above the trim.
I figured this was a experiment so the first time I use a hot glue gun and only used it in a couple spots so it could be removed.
Once I was happy with the results, I took it off and re-glued it with super glue.
I used the tank for a year before selling it. No issues

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 184 72.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back