Acrylic Gluing on an Active Sump?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to change the way my cover is positioned on my LifeReef Sump and add a cover to the other side. I have the Acrylic Blocks cut and Polished. I don’t think Weld-on 4 is going to work and could run down into the sump. Super Glue Failed. It is well above the water line, and I can keep it dry. What would you suggest?

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Capillary type solvents are the correct bonding agent for acrylic. They will draw between the plates like magic. Never used this particular stuff but it is an example:

OP
OP
S

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s too Runny, it looks very much like Weld-on 4. I want something that won’t run into the water.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s too Runny, it looks very much like Weld-on 4. I want something that won’t run into the water.
I believe weld on 16 should work. Just use a little, press it against where you want to mount it and it should not run. YOu should not need a whole lot of it, if just making a cover support.

@fishguy242 @Lost in the Sauce thoughts?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe weld on 16 should work. Just use a little, press it against where you want to mount it and it should not run. YOu should not need a whole lot of it, if just making a cover support.

@fishguy242 @Lost in the Sauce thoughts?
Less is more in this case. WO16 should work better. Could put a line of blue plastic tape under where you are worried about the run. Cup the tape at the bottom. In case it starts running just pull off the tape and the extra comes with it.

OP
OP
S

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I think I have some Free ABS Lined up. Also I have some free 1/2” thick clear Acrylic to pick up. It has some scratches in it, hoping they are not too deep. It’s from a store, and was on top of clothing racks. And after I bought a 1/2” x 12” x 24” Sheet.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back