Acrylic help

Andrew9307

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the best acrylic t use to do a diy tank its going to be 30 inches long by 18 inches deep and 12 inches high any input would be geat

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use only cast acrylic. For that size tank you want to use at least .354" thick acrylic if it is going to have a top or euro bracing. If its rimless then .472" minimum.

OP
OP
A

Andrew9307

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome thanks. its going to be a rimless going to use it as a frag tank do you have a place you like to buy it from

snodgrass.zach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*-I work will all types of acrylic... and it is very expensive and if not bent right it will break under pressure... buy the time u spend the money to make this tank u could have build a nice glass tank... plus there are 30 gal frag tank set up on ebay for 200ish.... but if u want to make a custom frag tank id use glass its much cheaper.. just my 2 cents tho

OP
OP
A

Andrew9307

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all input is important to me I just think that acrylic is easier to work with never done anything with glass.

BCN_Sumps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, you could use 1/4" extruded acrylic for that small of a tank. I've worked with acrylic for a while myself and have found that alot of the cast acrylic is from overseas and not worth crap

BCN_Sumps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were building this and selling it to someone, then I wouldn't recommend extruded. But since its for yourself and under 30 gallons, you shouldn't have any issues as long as you don't do anything to lower the strength of the acrylic ( heat too fast, use chemicals or solvents not meant for acrylic) and properly brace the tank.

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome thanks. its going to be a rimless going to use it as a frag tank do you have a place you like to buy it from

Definitely use .472 (1/2") then. I order mine locally from a local supplier. There are different grades of acrylic and different manufactures. Obviously price is key and the cheaper acrylics will come from china. While there are some that come from china that suck (tru-cast) there are some that are held to higher standards (Acrylite GP). If you want US made acrylic then you have to use Plexiglass G, it is super expensive. Just call around to your local plastic supply shops. Most will be willing to help out.

TheReefShack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with mixer about trying to not use china acrylic. I have a customer that is an avid diy'er that made himself a custom sump using 1/2" china acrylic. The formula only called for 1/4" and after 6 months was bowing. 9 months into this custom sump is when he first came by my store and we were lucky enought to take it down before it had the chance go break.

Lesson learned, it's not worth the money you think your saving. :)

bassintoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just bought a sheet of plexiglass G 4x8 x 3/8 for almost the exact same size tank. $214.00 picked up local. very easy to work with. just make sure ur cuts are square and smooth ur edges as slick as u can.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back