Acrylic sump dividers-how thick?

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am to the point of getting this thing going and buying material. I went to HD and found acrylic sheets that were .3 thick. Is this thick enough to create the dividers in a sump/refugium or do I need to look at stuff that is thicker?

My set up will be about 13.5" wide, 23" long and 14" high. The longest piece that is cut will probably be about 15" long. In total I am estimating the sump to hold about 12ish gallons of water.

Thanks!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally use all 3/8" material on my sumps... For something that size you could away with .25 or 1/4"... Are you building a complete sump from it or just using it for baffles??? Fwiw it's prolly optix which
Is the cheapest acrylic available so be careful!!!!

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can always use a plastic storage container in the tank to act as the baffles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning to use a 20g glass tank as the main frame and then break it up with the acrylic. BUT, the 20 is about 3/4" too long to fit in my stand AND close the door. ;) SO, I have been throwing around the idea of making the whole thing. The sheet at HD was between 1/4" & 3/8". It wasn't Optix, I don't think. I feel like the name was longer than that.

Acrylic ain't cheap. I think the sheets I was looking at were 30x36 and $40.

If I went with 3/8" would I be able to make the whole thing out of it?

lemonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic is not cheap, since it's tied to the price of gas, full of baloney. I would not use the stuff from HD or Lowes as it is not meant for sump material. Cast is the only way to go.

I would use different size tubs as suggested earlier. Too bad your are too far away, I could build you one.

heater-rack.jpg

heater racks and return area where the pvc is laying down
media-area.jpg

holes for the skimmer muffler, media reactors and dosing line rack (the black thing with holes)
sump-drain-1.jpg

for quick water changes
ATO.jpg

adjustable ATO, with dosing line management holes above it

something I built for my next upgrade.

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^ hey that guy knows what he is talking about...+1 lol
Ya you could build it all out of 3/8" granted it's a decent material...

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, good to know. Where do you guys recommend getting the materials from? Online?

Wish you were closer too. It would probably be cost effect to have one built, but I think when you put in shipping puts it over the top. At the end of the day, if I get in a pinch I could just not close my left side door until I can upgrade. I have 3 doors in my stand. One on each side and on the front. So it is not TOO bad, but still. :(

lemonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Troylee, I'm a rookie compared to you. I am starting to get more buz out here locally with several LFS and as well as the club members. Biggest so far is a 360gal FOWLR 96"lx24"wx36"t out of 3/4" man hat was heavy. Got a 400gal coming up soon 72"lx48"wx27"t

lemonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tabacso if your ready to try it, check in the yellow pages for plastic, maybe a Taps by you. They have a scrap bin, pretty cheap to practice with, other wise to save $$$ those different totes would work in a pinch. Or use the 20gal and put a cone in front of it so you won't kick it going by (sorry just had to add that) :smile:

Don"t know never ordered from them. Try to find it locally and then compare

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a table saw so could cut our own, but was thinking that it would be more $$ to have a big ol sheet shipped than the cut down sizes so it would kind of be a wash in what I would pay extra for cutting would save in shipping.

lemonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it would cost an arm and a leg for trucking, then it has to be crated up. Your in CO, there has to be a plastic/glass shop near by.

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is not a Taps near me. I live in a fairly small mountain town. About 2 hrs from Denver. What is a tote?

:) It doesnt stick out THAT bad. You actually can't even see the tank, but the door won't shut, so we would have to have it just open flush to the wall or take it off so I don't break it. The door is black glass. It is a pretty sweet looking set up though, didn't want to have it be all ghetto.

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I fabricated the whole thing, would I want the bottom to be thicker? Say 1/5"

I think I am going to have them give me a quote for cutting it. Looks like they do cut glass as well. And that it is considerably cheaper. Hmmm.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back