Acrylic Tank Question

mchute85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I know this question has probably been asked many times, but I am concerned about a 120 gallon (4x2x2) acrylic tank I purchased used. It is my fault and did not do enough research ahead of time to know what to look for when buying the tank. Long story short when I got it home and started inspecting it closely I noticed crazing on the front two seams and top. The tank needs to be completely polished, but don't want to start on that work if it is a lost cause. The acrylic is 3/8" thick all around.

What are my options? Would you trust the tank to hold up long term?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Front Left 1.jpg Front Left 2.jpg Front Right.jpg Top Brace Cazing.jpg Top Brace Whole.jpg

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest worry is seam failure. Some of the damage looks fixable but it's hard to say for sure from the pics how bad some may be.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazing is cosmetic from my experience. Concern yourself with the seams as Isopod80 said. Clean them up and make sure there isn’t a lot of air bubbles.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like mentioned hard to see, I am running a 28 year old acrylic tank and have other over the years 20 years and they have crazing and have for sometime, I haven’t had a acrylic tank fail . If it was mine I would clean up and fill up and check it out.

OP
OP
M

mchute85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies! I will plan on cleaning the tank up a bit and filling it up to see how much it bows. I will also inspect the seams closely and see if anything seems off.

From what I have read 3/8" think acrylic is not ideal for a 24" tall tank...it looks like most recommendation would be 1/2"+. That is what has me concerned since there is visible crazing as well.

Cornbread

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies! I will plan on cleaning the tank up a bit and filling it up to see how much it bows. I will also inspect the seams closely and see if anything seems off.

From what I have read 3/8" think acrylic is not ideal for a 24" tall tank...it looks like most recommendation would be 1/2"+. That is what has me concerned since there is visible crazing as well.
How did the tank turn out? Has it held up to the pressure? Was it braced on the top?

OP
OP
M

mchute85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did the tank turn out? Has it held up to the pressure? Was it braced on the top?
I decided not to use the tank in the end. I filled it up and it held water just fine, but there was a pretty decent bow in the front and back panels. I think it would have worked, but decided not to risk it.

The tank had top bracing.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back