Adam's 310 gallon build thread

Lividfanatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all inspired by Ryan's (from BRS) 360 - I just ordered a custom aquariums 310-gallon tank and stand, a couple of 100-gallon cone bottom water tanks - Cone Bottom Tanks – Flat Top, and a synergy reef 72-inch roller mat sump! Upgrading from an overly engineered 24 gallon (running trident/apex/dos/reactor/fuge/skimmer/ato/LED/nero 3s/etc... hybrid balling method).

Dims: 84L x 30D x 30H

The plan is to picture frame this out in a wall in my basement (renovations starting soon) and build out a fish room directly behind the tank.

Reddit asked me to start a build thread so here we are! I'll be posting pics of my basement as walls go up and equipment shows up. The goal is to have it running by August.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all inspired by Ryan's (from BRS) 360 - I just ordered a custom aquariums 310-gallon tank and stand, a couple of 100-gallon cone bottom water tanks - Cone Bottom Tanks – Flat Top, and a synergy reef 72-inch roller mat sump! Upgrading from an overly engineered 24 gallon (running trident/apex/dos/reactor/fuge/skimmer/ato/LED/nero 3s/etc... hybrid balling method).

The plan is to picture frame this out in a wall in my basement (renovations starting soon) and build out a fish room directly behind the tank.

Reddit asked me to start a build thread so here we are! I'll be posting pics of my basement as walls go up and equipment shows up. The goal is to have it running by August.
Keep us posted - this sounds like a dream!!

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds like a nice build. On your custom Synergy sump, did you just have them increase the length or did you also increase the width or height?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Congrats! What's the time frame on the new tank?

OP
OP
Lividfanatica

Lividfanatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a nice build. On your custom Synergy sump, did you just have them increase the length or did you also increase the width or height?
Wow - sorry for the late reply - i need to make more of an effort to log in to R2R. I only had them increase the length. Sad i didnt make it a bit wider (if that is even an option) as i want to do a recirculating skimmer and they are quite large...

OP
OP
Lividfanatica

Lividfanatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started posting videos on progress (one so far). Here is the link to my channel
: https://youtube.com/channel/UC3CaeMh32TPi3mzwehfhc_w

So far I have added one of these (three-barrel) under my sump https://www.uline.com/BL_8219/Drum-Platforms to raise it and provide some leak protection. I stuck some 3/8ths neoprene from BRS in between it and my sump for some support.

• I added 1/4" HDPE to the walls to help waterproof them a bit. 4x8 foot sheets from Menards.
  • Picked up 2x 600 Watt titanium heaters from BRS - planning on buying some Aqualogic controllers for them.
  • Running 3x 1.5" drains.
  • Return pumps will be COR20's 1.25" necked up to 1.5" for the 9 foot run back to the tank then down to 1" up through FS-100 flow sensors and finally 3/4" into the tank. Sadly 3/4 was the largest hole the aquarium vendor offered. I don't plan on pushing a ton of flow through the tank - hoping for 5x turnover (1500gph).

Half way done with plumbing and i'll get another video posted.

OP
OP
Lividfanatica

Lividfanatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: My plumbing is done and some of my rockwork is complete. Check out a really quick video of what I did here. Happy to hear any feedback or answer questions. Thanks!

If you would rather read: 3x 1.5" drains from my overflow box (bean animal style) into the sump, then 2x Neptune Cor 20's across roughly 9 feet of 1.5" pipe where it gets necked down to 1 inch, passes through an FS-100 flow sensor and then into the tank as a 3/4" fitting.

xionggotstyle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. I would watch the COR 20s. Heard they suck with the overhead pressure loss. That's a lot of pipe your covering. Also i would just keep it at 1 inch at the outputs. Connect a 1 inch VCA RFG nozzle on both ends. They also make a 3d printed arm to connect the 1 inch nozzle to. (Loc line only makes it biggest size at 3/4 inch so i see why you went from 1.5 to 1 to 3/4 inch) I've got a Vectra L2 pushing thru 1.5 inch slap shot across 8 feet and then reduced to 1 inch on both ends. It's running at 80% and I feel that enough. You might have issues with the COR20 pushing as much as you need. You've got a lot of Pipe. Looks good overall.

OP
OP
Lividfanatica

Lividfanatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. I would watch the COR 20s. Heard they suck with the overhead pressure loss. That's a lot of pipe your covering. Also i would just keep it at 1 inch at the outputs. Connect a 1 inch VCA RFG nozzle on both ends. They also make a 3d printed arm to connect the 1 inch nozzle to. (Loc line only makes it biggest size at 3/4 inch so i see why you went from 1.5 to 1 to 3/4 inch) I've got a Vectra L2 pushing thru 1.5 inch slap shot across 8 feet and then reduced to 1 inch on both ends. It's running at 80% and I feel that enough. You might have issues with the COR20 pushing as much as you need. You've got a lot of Pipe. Looks good overall.

Thanks - i have heard the same thing regarding the COR20's and that is mainly why I bumped up to 1.5" for the return run - friction loss is a real B&%$#. Only shooting for 750 GPH per pump - hoping I can get that!

OP
OP
Lividfanatica

Lividfanatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress has been made:

Only getting 630 GPM from each COR20 - xionggotstyle was spot on... ill look at removing the locline and see if that will help me out.

Clowns are in, skimmer is running, rock and sand are in - just need lights!

OP
OP
Lividfanatica

Lividfanatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I catch that you went from a 24-gallon tank to a 310-gallon tank? Sweet.
Yup! I manage a buddy's 88.. but yes, I went big. Figure if you are going to build a dream tank you may as well swing for the fences! It already looks small... but I am VERY intimidated to start over at this scale.

xionggotstyle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress has been made:

Only getting 630 GPM from each COR20 - xionggotstyle was spot on... ill look at removing the locline and see if that will help me out.

Clowns are in, skimmer is running, rock and sand are in - just need lights!

Removing the Locline won't improve the flow. If your fine with that turnover than it shouldn't be an issue. I'll rather have more flow than too little. I can always tune/turn it down. If you have enough powerheads in the main display then it should be fine. A tank that big needs gyres or mp60s. Don't use the mp40s. It won't reach from side to side.

Back