Add internal overflow

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an undrilled 180g that I wanna drill. I was originally planning on adding one of the ghost type external overflows but am now reconsidering it. The tank will be up against a wall making it impossible to ever remove the overflow or bulkheads without emptying the tank. Now I'm thinking about having some 1/2" glass cut to make an overflow inside center back. My idea is to come out say 4", across 8-10" and then back 4", this will allow me to have 3 bulkheads. Thinking if I make the front piece about 2" shorter I can then make a black plexi u shape to fit around the glass with a weir at the top. I feel it would be better to make the overflow out of glass because of the silicone bond vs plastic-glass. Never understood how they attach those abs overflows.

Anyone ever do anything similar? Pics, suggestions?

BR260354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few things out there. Thinking about doing the same except to make an external refugium.

Here's one...

OP
OP
J

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few things out there. Thinking about doing the same except to make an external refugium.

Here's one...
I didn't even think of drilling the back top like that instead of the bottom. Just not sure about the plastic-glass bond, I think I'd use glass to construct it with a plenty cover with a Weir

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you ever need to remove the bulkheads with the tank running?

I get accessing the standpipes, but the bulkheads should stay in place.

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't even think of drilling the back top like that instead of the bottom. Just not sure about the plastic-glass bond, I think I'd use glass to construct it with a plenty cover with a Weir
99.9% of the time if it is a tank with any size to it, the bottom is going to be tempered.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back