Added Berghia nudis, but are these monti eating nudis?

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some in another tank. I was thinking about doing that! Great idea! It probably would be a good idea to get another wrasse for pests. I’m calling around now to see if anyone has any yellow coris. I’ve been told they play nicer than the
I'll try to drop you some photos from my Betrghia, that don't look like, I'm breeding them as well...
and yes the cerata are vastly different, and I don't see them rhinophores, which are very visible usually !!!
Look here, and compare them: LINK , you can't mistake them even if that are juveniles and the cerata they are like on clumps on my one.
I'll drop few photos of my .

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% Berghias

And something else, I never saw yet Berghia to crawl over any coral . Over Monti ...., if there are been already dead places ok, can agree to crawl on them, but never over life flesh.

Last edited:

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, forgot to UP the photos :D

Attachments

• IMG_7899.jpg
    IMG_7899.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_7908.jpg
    IMG_7908.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_7915.jpg
    IMG_7915.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_7938.jpg
    IMG_7938.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_7940.jpg
    IMG_7940.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_8149.jpg
    IMG_8149.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_8150.jpg
    IMG_8150.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh gosh. It looks like I’m wrong. Oh no @Bleigh! Do you only have the one monti?
I have 6. But that’s the biggest one.

My lfs has a coris wrasse. I pulled my 6 line cause he was a butt hole. Should I add him back in to help deal with the problem? Or maybe just get a younger one who isn’t as angry?

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No MEN or six line experience here, sorry. I wonder if the six line was keeping them in check previously? If you’re not interested in keeping a six line for the long term or having to catch one again; maybe the coris is a better option. Fingers crossed for you!

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coris wrasse are great for them. Some people put pep shrimp in a small tank and put all montis in with them and let them clean all nudis and eggs from the coral. Thats what we do when we get new monti.
Yeah. I was just thinking that I probably need to just bite the bullet and set up a small coral frag tank.

Here is a picture of the berghia I ordered. Not sure if a monti eating nudi was mixed in or if they were already in my tank. I’ve had issues growing montis in the past, so who knows. They may have been in there all along.

189DAB7A-7AF9-47C8-BAFB-206FDFA37176.jpeg

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I was just thinking that I probably need to just bite the bullet and set up a small coral frag tank.

Here is a picture of the berghia I ordered. Not sure if a monti eating nudi was mixed in or if they were already in my tank. I’ve had issues growing montis in the past, so who knows. They may have been in there all along.

189DAB7A-7AF9-47C8-BAFB-206FDFA37176.jpeg
It look like Berghia, can't see the rhinophores only, but that's because of the focus I think, the careta look the same, and are fill (after they feed on aiptasia look like this)

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
be careful please, they are very fragile. If you wish, take out few which look identical to this one (the one on the right side is 99% Berghia), and keep them separate for the time you are dipping the coral, after put them back in the tank. they can't make any single damage to the corals 100% sure. On the photos/video I drop you can see them eggs, and they don't deposit them over corals for sure, LR and glass yes, but only there.

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you get the 6line or the coris will kill them all, peppermint shrimp is dangerous to them as well and most of the crabs.

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the multi posts, but can't be sure what you read already.

If I'm I'll compare the juveniles and the biggers (they can reach 1"), with the one here: LINK, the monti eating nudis are a bit different.
Just trying to help @Bleigh, not to kill Berghias, because they are so valuable for your tank killing the aiptasia if you have some/any which you can't see at the moment.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These don’t look like my berghia. I just looked all over the tank really well, I don’t see any more aiptasia. I found one medium size and 2 tiny tiny ones last week when I looked. They are not there anymore. If the berghia have not already starved themselves out, I’m sure it won’t be long.

The monti’s flesh has been receding along the edge where I pulled the nudis from. I wondered a couple of days ago if the berghia was eating it - as I saw nudis along the edge. And this morning, there was a line of them. All the ones I put in the container were on that one monti. I got a melanarus wrasse. If he eats any berghia, they’re likely on their way out anyway. they have also done their job quite well.

I’m going to pull all the montis and dip them and brush them. I’m also considering putting them in my newer 15 gallon as a quarantine for them. The 6 line is in that tank too. Luckily, my biggest one is only about 4-5 inches. So it shouldn’t be a terrible chore.

I’ve always struggled with montis. I always assumed that it was alk related. Some have flat out died. Most of them grow and recede, grow and recede, but never really have much net growth. I’m honestly thinking I may have had these for quite sometime, But just hadn’t seen them.

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These don’t look like my berghia. I just looked all over the tank really well, I don’t see any more aiptasia. I found one medium size and 2 tiny tiny ones last week when I looked. They are not there anymore. If the berghia have not already starved themselves out, I’m sure it won’t be long.

The monti’s flesh has been receding along the edge where I pulled the nudis from. I wondered a couple of days ago if the berghia was eating it - as I saw nudis along the edge. And this morning, there was a line of them. All the ones I put in the container were on that one monti. I got a melanarus wrasse. If he eats any berghia, they’re likely on their way out anyway. they have also done their job quite well.

I’m going to pull all the montis and dip them and brush them. I’m also considering putting them in my newer 15 gallon as a quarantine for them. The 6 line is in that tank too. Luckily, my biggest one is only about 4-5 inches. So it shouldn’t be a terrible chore.

I’ve always struggled with montis. I always assumed that it was alk related. Some have flat out died. Most of them grow and recede, grow and recede, but never really have much net growth. I’m honestly thinking I may have had these for quite sometime, But just hadn’t seen them.
All is possible, if the one you have don't look like what I post and like the one from the link I drop, then they aren't berghia, like I say Bergjia aren't going ever on corals, that 100% sure, they eat only Aiptasia, that's the reason they will die after 6-8 days after all aiptasia is gone (can't survive longer than 8 days by reports). Noone report Berghia is going to touch any coral/invertebrate different from aiptasia. So I'm confident with that and sure in what I'm saying after enough researches.
If you think you are free from aiptasia, then the fish way and dipping is the best choice you have I think. Dip the corals, and quarantine/move them away from that tank. Observe the tank for a whyle, don't let any montipora in. if that nudis don't find anything else to eat they will starve to death as well, and after at least 1 month you will be completely free from them. and you can put back your Montis and enjoy them proper growth. I was surprised once I found on one monti nudi eating it, w/o having anything else like that for over 1 month, just saw the bugger crawling over the coral.., and I drop it in the tank after dipping and after 2 weeks under quarantine :D it surprise me, I dip it after, never saw any other in.
Good luck with that @Bleigh :)

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All is possible, if the one you have don't look like what I post and like the one from the link I drop, then they aren't berghia, like I say Bergjia aren't going ever on corals, that 100% sure, they eat only Aiptasia, that's the reason they will die after 6-8 days after all aiptasia is gone (can't survive longer than 8 days by reports). Noone report Berghia is going to touch any coral/invertebrate different from aiptasia. So I'm confident with that and sure in what I'm saying after enough researches.
If you think you are free from aiptasia, then the fish way and dipping is the best choice you have I think. Dip the corals, and quarantine/move them away from that tank. Observe the tank for a whyle, don't let any montipora in. if that nudis don't find anything else to eat they will starve to death as well, and after at least 1 month you will be completely free from them. and you can put back your Montis and enjoy them proper growth. I was surprised once I found on one monti nudi eating it, w/o having anything else like that for over 1 month, just saw the bugger crawling over the coral.., and I drop it in the tank after dipping and after 2 weeks under quarantine :D it surprise me, I dip it after, never saw any other in.
Good luck with that @Bleigh :)
Thanks!!! The melanarus went after that monti almost immediately. So there was something on it. Not sure if they were good or bad nudis, but better safe than sorry. I till have the ones I pulled out. I’m going to put them in a tank with a rock that has aiptasia on it to see how they react. I know for sure input berghia in a few weeks ago, just wasn’t sure if these were their babies or a different nudi.

always better safe than sorry though.

I spent the afternoon pulling out montis, dipping and scrubbing them. I put them in a different tank with my 6 line. I’ll dip them again in a few days. I probably just went bananas on berghia. That’s best case scenario. Everything I’ve read about the monti eating nudis are a night mare. If it is those, then I just did a good thing.

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!!! The melanarus went after that monti almost immediately. So there was something on it. Not sure if they were good or bad nudis, but better safe than sorry. I till have the ones I pulled out. I’m going to put them in a tank with a rock that has aiptasia on it to see how they react. I know for sure input berghia in a few weeks ago, just wasn’t sure if these were their babies or a different nudi.

always better safe than sorry though.

I spent the afternoon pulling out montis, dipping and scrubbing them. I put them in a different tank with my 6 line. I’ll dip them again in a few days. I probably just went bananas on berghia. That’s best case scenario. Everything I’ve read about the monti eating nudis are a night mare. If it is those, then I just did a good thing.
Well done @Bleigh and if you pull out/got another nudis and not sure Berghia or no, put them in the same tank with the aiptasia and you will see how they do.
Usually they overgrow the monti eating nudis for near 3 weeks (if have enough aiptasia to eat (from 2-3mm length).
Usually the montipora nudis can grow UP to 1/3 of an inch 8-9mm, so everything over this size isn't montipora nudi :) (it's easy to measure them to be sure what you are dealing with), if it's less that size you can't be sure is it berghia or montipora nudi, but over that size... you know.
Montipora eating Nudibranch - size
Berghia Nudibranch - size

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The monti eating nudis are bright white, those don't look like monti eating nudis, but maybe they come in different variations. I have some in my tank but they only eat the monti spongodes they dont touch any other monti in my tank.. If your looking at fish to eat them a small green coris wrasse will devour them and not be a jerk like a sixline.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There's a special tank for these guys below. DO . . . Look for presence of eggs each day for the next week or two

Tank:

1607569393275.png

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back