Added Berghia nudis, but are these monti eating nudis?

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’ve added berhgias about a year ago and they were amazing. I added more about a month ago and they have slowly been mowing down the aiptasia. I moved a monti and have noticed it’s not looking great on one side. I thought maybe it was getting shaded some there and haven’t thought much about it. I did think I saw some berhgia son it also. This morning I noticed A LOT of “berhgias” on it and thought maybe they’re running out of aiptasia and are irritating the monti. So I pulled them out. He problem is, I don’t think they look like berghia. If they’re monti eating nudis, I have no idea where they have come from. Guess it’s time to find a wrasse since I pulled my 6 line for aggression. What do y’all think?

204BF2A7-CA7E-42AE-A882-3E6F81ECBAD6.jpeg

I’m a little nervous that there may have been a monti-eating nudi mixed in with the berhgias, which makes me super nervous

galactic_coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like berghia to me. Monti eating nudis don't get that big. Max that I've seen was about the width of a pencil eraser. Its hard to judge without scale. How big are the letters on the bowl?

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When in doubt....

You already know the best course of action, B. :)
Hahaha. I’ll be headed out to get a yellow coris in a bit. Other than that...

flame thrower fire GIF

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like berghia to me. Monti eating nudis don't get that big. Max that I've seen was about the width of a pencil eraser. Its hard to judge without scale. How big are the letters on the bowl?
Well that would make me feel better, but they’ve got to be getting close to starving at this point if they are berghia. I don’t see anymore aiptasia.

D372A59F-BD18-4D80-A0B3-8E575C879145.jpeg

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kill the buggers. Not sure how the two would end up being shipped together and I would think it was more likely they came in another way. Do you dip everything new?

I don’t dip things from wwc normally. But I do spray with RODI water. I use coral rx from things I get from other sources.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are not berghia, their cerata are vastly different. The cerata of berghia are very smooth and symmetrical, those look like monti eating nudi's.
That’s what I was thinking too. I literally said, I feel like berghia are normally softer looking. Those almost look like snowflake branches.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put an aptasia in the bowl and see if they eat it. If you don't have them in the display you can more than likely find them in the sump.

I have some in another tank. I was thinking about doing that! Great idea! It probably would be a good idea to get another wrasse for pests. I’m calling around now to see if anyone has any yellow coris. I’ve been told they play nicer than the 6 lines.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put an aptasia in the bowl and see if they eat it. If you don't have them in the display you can more than likely find them in the sump.

I have some in another tank. I was thinking about doing that! Great idea! It probably would be a good idea to get another wrasse for pests. I’m calling around now to see if anyone has any yellow coris. I’ve been told they play nicer than the

galactic_coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coris wrasse are great for them. Some people put pep shrimp in a small tank and put all montis in with them and let them clean all nudis and eggs from the coral. Thats what we do when we get new monti.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back