Adding a 2nd pair of clownfish?

Bob The Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a matched pair of small orange/white ocellaris clowns who are very non-territorial and I'm contemplating adding a pair of black/white ones.

Good idea or not?

Since the tank is now pretty stable in terms of water parameters was also thinking of adding a BTA (or 2 if I also add 2 more clowns)

RSR350 so scope to house the anenomes at either end

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is fairly large, it might be a go. Error on the side of caution and get an acclimation box for introduction.
Keep in mind that the clowns could pair up differently than you intend them to. If you do decide to add 2 more clowns the second set should be smaller than current pair.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if 350 meant gallons I would consider that tank large enough to possibly work, but correct me if I'm wrong, isn't that like a 70g tank?

If so, no way would I consider a 2nd pair, and in most any normal size or even large size tank it's still a risk having multiple pairs, other than going full harem from same clutch

AlbinoTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both pairs have their own anemone. a gigantea and a magnifica, but still the oceallaris (the oldest) going for the new smaller maroons

TonyNguyen

Unkown
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 73 gallon system, kind of small but if you have enough nems for them to stay away from each other on opposite side of the tank then they won't ever intrude... I got 5 Clown in my 210 had them for 7 years no issue...

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, from my experience, not a good thing. I have a 7' long 210g that I tried to work with two pairs. Both pairs had their own nem. Over 9 months or more, the blackfoot female decided to kill my ocell female and my babysitter got the male out in time. Now, I gave it time and did an acclimation of my clarkiis to the tank a while later. This time it took no time fore the fish to be harassed to illness and I got them both out immediately and they live in the sump and are very happy laying eggs there.

Personally, I would never do it in that small of a tank. It will end badly. Just a matter of when. :)

TonyNguyen

Unkown
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, sorry to hear it didn't work out with you. I had many great success with breaking the rule of 2 in one tank. I guess I'm just lucky, but do keep eye out for aggression we don't want these animals to be hurt in anyway!

This is my female she is big and no one gets near here!

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big difference between a 210g and a 70g and what you may get away with in pushing some boundaries

Clown species can be a factor as well, something host hungry like a maroon or clarki will easily go back and forth the length of tank residing in every nem it contains, and most likely not allow others

TonyNguyen

Unkown
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if there was a misunderstand; these clown was from a 75g tank then to a 100G, and now they are in a 210G they always been together.... 7 years

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they were young, and especially from the same clutch, and unpaired, that could be a different story.

Adding a pair, to an already established and mature existing pair, in a confined space like a 70g is most likely going to come w/ problems.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big difference between a 210g and a 70g and what you may get away with in pushing some boundaries

Clown species can be a factor as well, something host hungry like a maroon or clarki will easily go back and forth the length of tank residing in every nem it contains, and most likely not allow others
Add Blackfoots to those that decide every nem in the tank is theirs. She has three huge ones in my 210g that she occupies. Only one they lay at though. Crazy fish.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ocellaris were willing to share with my balckfoots fine. Just not the other way around. And my blackfoots hated my clarkiis. Maybe perc and ocellaris will be happier together.

I have large and lots nems. Guess not enough for the blackfoot though. :)

Sethbrown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is fairly large, it might be a go. Error on the side of caution and get an acclimation box for introduction.
Keep in mind that the clowns could pair up differently than you intend them to. If you do decide to add 2 more clowns the second set should be smaller than current pair.
What about a 20 gallon with 6 anemones. And the pair i have now arent to big. Could i possibly get a second SMALLer pair and add them??

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine were in a 210g and could not get along. I have seen the harem type tanks, but only as far as year 2. It is when they mate that things go wrong. If you have two young ocellaris and add a few more, it could work for a year or two. Just watch out after that and expect to get rid of a few to other tanks. JME

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a 20 gallon with 6 anemones. And the pair i have now arent to big. Could i possibly get a second SMALLer pair and add them??

20g is barely big enough for one pair IMO, and most host anemone's would probably get too big in a 20g even just having one, and keep in mind they would always be dangerously close to intakes and pumps.
No way I'd consider more than a pair of just clowns myself personally.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if there was a misunderstand; these clown was from a 75g tank then to a 100G, and now they are in a 210G they always been together.... 7 years

They look pretty similar in appearance, which maybe means they could have been from same clutch, and possibly you got them young and made transfer before they matured, which is usually about 2 years of age.

Anything different would be just a strange exception to the rule, and usually we give advice on typical outcome, not exceptions.

Vid does look cool though, and seems to be working well for you, just would not be something I'd personally promote.

Usually when we see multiples they are intro'd as juvies from same clutch, that seems to be the only real way for long term success in the average size tank, and even that sometimes still comes w/ some pecking off.

Venzzla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you wanted to add say 4 clowns, is it better to add them all at the same time? All unpaired?
Also, is having at least 2 anemones a must for this. This would be in a 125 gallon tank. Also, 2 Wyoming clowns, and two ocellaris

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you wanted to add say 4 clowns, is it better to add them all at the same time? All unpaired?
Also, is having at least 2 anemones a must for this. This would be in a 125 gallon tank. Also, 2 Wyoming clowns, and two ocellaris

If they are not juvies from same clutch they will most likely pair up and fight as they mature

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back