Adding a blade glow to a grow?

zimur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you that have both, how big of a visual improvement would I get by adding a glow to my grow?

I already have a blade grow and I really like the light. It provides plenty of par and solid coverage for my tank. Once everything starts growing out, I’m sure a 2nd light would help with shadows, but at the moment it’s fairly unnecessary. However, the fact that the grow is totally missing violet and UV has me wondering if my coral could look even better? How much better? Is it worth buying a glow just to improve the visual aspect of a tank when I’m already achieving plenty of par? I don’t mind spending the money unless it’s really not much of a difference and wouldn’t be worth it. If it matters, I’m running a mixed reef and coral is the number 1 focus of my tank.

OP
OP
Z

zimur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would definatly make a difference. You would have alot more color pop. The UV spectrum will also help your corals.
I think I’m sold! I also watched some brs videos last night on spectrum and coral coloration which heavily swayed me towards getting one. Thanks!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both and my biggest issue with either is they don't have a broad enough spectrum so having both definetly helps with that. Still wish that they would just put all the colors in one like the fluval marines but in every other way they are superior lights.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 x Radion XR15 Pro - so I went with the "glow" version for extra pop! Very pleased.

OP
OP
Z

zimur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both and my biggest issue with either is they don't have a broad enough spectrum so having both definetly helps with that. Still wish that they would just put all the colors in one like the fluval marines but in every other way they are superior lights.
Do you feel like on their own it’s not broad enough? Or the two of them together still isn’t broad enough? Not sure what the pair is missing aside from red and green leds but I feel like you get some from the whites and I dk if I would even run red or green leds at any meaningful power. I agree that on their own they are fairly limited but hoping adding the glow to my grow would expand it to a spectrum that’s more than adequate.

OP
OP
Z

zimur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 x Radion XR15 Pro - so I went with the "glow" version for extra pop! Very pleased.
Thanks! I think I’ll order a glow this evening. Btw how do you like the Radions? I think I’ll light my next tank in a very similar way with xr15s and maybe a glow if I need more fill.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feel like on their own it’s not broad enough? Or the two of them together still isn’t broad enough? Not sure what the pair is missing aside from red and green leds but I feel like you get some from the whites and I dk if I would even run red or green leds at any meaningful power. I agree that on their own they are fairly limited but hoping adding the glow to my grow would expand it to a spectrum that’s more than adequate.
Mostly that the grow is missing the deep purples and the glow the light blues. Though I do miss the reds as they make my red and pink fish glow

OP
OP
Z

zimur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly that the grow is missing the deep purples and the glow the light blues. Though I do miss the reds as they make my red and pink fish glow
Yea that’s very true. Like you said, it really would be amazing if they would just combine the glow and grow into one fixture instead of trying to get you to buy two separately. It’s probably mostly marketing and an attempt to sell more of them. Unfortunately it’s working on me.

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone here would like to share pictures of the AI Blade Glow over their tank for us to see in real time if it makes a difference thanks. As I’m about to purchase the GLow today at my LFS

OP
OP
Z

zimur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone here would like to share pictures of the AI Blade Glow over their tank for us to see in real time if it makes a difference thanks. As I’m about to purchase the GLow today at my LFS
So I ended up getting a glow and it’s been running for about a week. When added to the grow the visual difference is VERY minor, at least to my eyes, coral, and tank setup. Maybe it’s because I was running the grow blue heavy already, but I got about 90% of the visual “pop” just from the grow. I’m still happy with the light as I’m hoping the extended spectrum will be beneficial to my coral, and I imagine it will help with shadows when my coral really starts to grow out.

Edit: With the difference being minor, and me not being a very good photographer, it would be impossible for me to capture the difference in a pic.

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ended up getting a glow and it’s been running for about a week. When added to the grow the visual difference is VERY minor, at least to my eyes, coral, and tank setup. Maybe it’s because I was running the grow blue heavy already, but I got about 90% of the visual “pop” just from the grow. I’m still happy with the light as I’m hoping the extended spectrum will be beneficial to my coral, and I imagine it will help with shadows when my coral really starts to grow out.

Edit: With the difference being minor, and me not being a very good photographer, it would be impossible for me to capture the difference in a pic.
That’s what I was thinking as well. Im running all blue on my tanks. I thought the glow would be more purple and add a UV yet metallic look to the coral bringing out new shades of color.
Idk why they are promoted with a purple hue.

OP
OP
Z

zimur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I was thinking as well. Im running all blue on my tanks. I thought the glow would be more purple and add a UV yet metallic look to the coral bringing out new shades of color.
Idk why they are promoted with a purple hue.
It does have a purple hue. I mean it has violet leds but our eyes are more sensitive to blue and up so when you’re running blues as well that’s mostly what you see. Fwiw I didn’t notice any new shades of color in my coral. Just ever so slightly more florescence.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.0%
Back