Adding a copperband butterfly

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by lou dog420, Apr 19, 2017.

1. lou dog420

lou dog420 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Yea I will probably have to break out the mirror for the yellow. I first used it when I added the anthias, he really wanted to kill them for about 3 days but they were just to slick for him to catch.

BluewaterLa likes this.

2. Zack Klabunde

Zack Klabunde The LPS Guy R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Even a 20g works.

3. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor Louisiana Reef Club Partner Member 2018

And Petco is running their $ per gal sale in some locations. :D

4. Kmsutows

Kmsutows Well-Known Member

I just recently added a copperband a few weeks ago for aptaisia as well to no avail. He doesn't touch it. It took 5-6 days before he'd even start eating black worms. He wouldn't take blood or anything else so he was on black worms for about a week trying everything under the sun. Eventually I ran out and could get more for a few days and it got him hungry enough to start frozen. Now he eats anything frozen and has picked at pellets but I think they are too big. On the note about parasites... I did notice what I believe must be a couple flukes on him just the other day and am at a loss what to do about them

Zack Klabunde likes this.
  5. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor Louisiana Reef Club Partner Member 2018

6. JaimeAdams

JaimeAdams Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad PMAS Member Build Thread Contributor

I haven't found them to be any more pron to parasites than any other fish. I have seen a ton of them recently with lymphocystis like it is going out of style though. I'd rather have lymph than anything else of a copper banded though. I brought mine home completely covered (he was free) and my peppermint shrimp of all things had him clean in a day. It was a pretty odd sight to see.

7. Paul B

Paul B Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Hello there Humble. How you doing :D

BluewaterLa, Cary and Humblefish like this.
  8. Humblefish

Bada boom, realest guys in the room! ;Smuggrin

BluewaterLa, lou dog420, Cary and 2 others like this.
  9. jd371

jd371 Well-Known Member

Mine made it through QT and is in the DT since Sunday. Not the reason I got him, but I haven't seen him eat any Aptasia yet. He eats almost everything I feed my fish, mysis, bs, LRS, but loves black worms. He's not shy like the others and will come right up and eat the black worms as they come out of the eye dropper.

10. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

The CBB is a gorgeous fish!

lou dog420 and Corey D like this.
  11. Paul B

Paul B Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Here is my copperband eating worms a couple of years ago when he was a youngster. He is much bigger now.
    Video

[​IMG]

BluewaterLa and lou dog420 like this.
  12. Vaughn17

Vaughn17 Well-Known Member

I bought some at a pet store recently (for a copperband, btw). I keep them in the frig, changed the water every few days (freshwater), gave them some reef roids now and then, and they were still alive when I feed the last of them a month later. My QT has lots of pods, so the CB wasn't too interested in the black worms. I believe some people have made feeders for the CB out of small diameter PVC pipe that is drilled with holes. It allows the CB to eat at its own pace.

13. Boiler13

Boiler13 Active Member

Don't want to steal from this thread, but I will be getting a copperband this weekend and was wondering if I need to quarantine him. The reason I ask is that he has been a one of my friends systems for over 6 months and he hasn't had any disease in his tank. I'd think it wouldn't be necessary, but what do I know.

14. Chrissemar

Chrissemar New Member

I've always wanted a copperband this makes me want to give it a try. But I always heard they may nip at corals. Anybody have experience with that.

Murica likes this.
  15. Paul B

If you ask Humblefish you will get one answer and if you ask me you will get a different answer. So someone else should answer that for you. :D

BluewaterLa likes this.
  16. vic5hands

vic5hands Well-Known Member

great fish

IMG_0523.JPG

17. vic5hands

vic5hands Well-Known Member

Have mine in a SPS tank with no problems

BluewaterLa likes this.
  18. saltyhog

saltyhog Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2018

Mine doesn't bother anything except feather dusters. He's an aiptasia eating machine though. He eats anything offered as long as it's from my hand. A beautiful, fascinating fish.

19. bblumberg

bblumberg Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

CBBs are beautiful. I have had good success against aiptasia with 1) a matted file fish and 2) a Klein's butterfly. The Klein's doesn't bother micro feather dusters in my nanotank and doesn't seem to nip on corals much as long as he is well fed. The matted file fish was a nibbler at first, but since I have been feeding mysis, has stopped bothering corals.

Bruce

20. david00061

david00061 Well-Known Member

My yellow tang said no way to the coopernand. I've got a 500 gallon tank. I had to get him out and still died. Mr. Yellow beat the ##@# out of him

Draft saved Draft deleted