Adding a copperband butterfly

lou dog420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to add a copperband butterfly to my reef to control aptasia. I have read that they are pretty hard to keep and considered to be a delicate fish. Below is my current inhabitants, that are all well established. Do you guys think I could successfully add one to my system??

1 yellow tang
1 mandarin dragnet
1 magenta dottyback
1 blue sapphire damsel
2 clowns
3 lyretail anthias
1 cleaner shrimp
It is a 100 gallon mixed reef, thanks in advance for your input.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what you are planning to feed him.

OP
OP
lou dog420

lou dog420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what you are planning to feed him.
Well for starters i was hoping it would knock down some of this aptasia. I read that people have had good success feeding them live black worms, what would you suggest?? I guess I'm really more concerned with the current inhabitants stressing it to death.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blackworms are the best, those and clams, that is al it needs. "If" it eats your aiptasia (some do some don't) it will eat all of them in a day or two as aiptasia are almost all water and not much nutrition but one of the things copperbands eat.
I have been keeping them since the 70s and worms and clams is the best diet for them, and the rest of your fish.
Your fish should get along fine although the yellow tang and him may disagree a little at first.

OP
OP
lou dog420

lou dog420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blackworms are the best, those and clams, that is al it needs. "If" it eats your aiptasia (some do some don't) it will eat all of them in a day or two as aiptasia are almost all water and not much nutrition but one of the things copperbands eat.
I have been keeping them since the 70s and worms and clams is the best diet for them, and the rest of your fish.
Your fish should get along fine although the yellow tang and him may disagree a little at first.

That's a beautiful fish Paul, and thank you very much for your input. I like to think my approach to reef keeping is much like yours. My system is far from sterile or clean. I put a lot of focus on the beginning of the food chain and it seems to have paid off. My fish have vibrant beautiful colors and seem to be very healthy. My system is loaded with amphipods copepods,sponges, and little feather dusters. And offcourse aptasia! ! Lol , thanks again Paul!

vic5hands

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lg-22972-fish.jpg
My Copperband loves this, Also eats Aiptasia.

vic5hands

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a beautiful fish Paul, and thank you very much for your input. I like to think my approach to reef keeping is much like yours. My system is far from sterile or clean. I put a lot of focus on the beginning of the food chain and it seems to have paid off. My fish have vibrant beautiful colors and seem to be very healthy. My system is loaded with amphipods copepods,sponges, and little feather dusters. And offcourse aptasia! ! Lol , thanks again Paul!
Your feather dusters are going to be a thing of the past

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The copperband will most likely clean out the feather dusters. Be sure to make sure it's eating good at the store before buying, many don't. You'll need to start with a good specimen.

The Yellow Tang might harasse it in the beginning, mine never did. Mine ate all frozen foods, but took handfeeding of live blackworms to fatten him up.

OP
OP
lou dog420

lou dog420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The copperband will most likely clean out the feather dusters. Be sure to make sure it's eating good at the store before buying, many don't. You'll need to start with a good specimen.

The Yellow Tang might harasse it in the beginning, mine never did. Mine ate all frozen foods, but took handfeeding of live blackworms to fatten him up.
Yea the yellow does usually seem to give the new guys a hard time, he seems to give up after a day or two though.

OP
OP
lou dog420

lou dog420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the input, now I just gotta wait for one of my two local stores to get one in stock.

abossi2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too want to eventually get a Copperband. Those that have them and feed clams how often do you offer them a clam? Also, please forgive my ignorance on this, but where do you get live black worms from and how do you store the ones that you haven't fed to your Copperband yet?

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would QT this fish if I were you. This fish is very susceptible to diseases such as Ich,Velvet, and flukes. I would hate to see that spread to your tank. Also as stated above make sure you see this fish eat. They are known to be picky eaters. Another thing I want to tell you is it is about a 50/50 shot that he will eat aptasia. I know multiple CBB that do NOT eat aptasia. Another point as I read above is the yellow tang will harass for the first few days but also as stated above that should be done after a few days. Wish you luck! If you have any questions about disease I will tag @Humblefish and @eatbreakfast can answer any additional questions regarding behavior of the CBB

OP
OP
lou dog420

lou dog420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would QT this fish if I were you. This fish is very susceptible to diseases such as Ich,Velvet, and flukes. I would hate to see that spread to your tank. Also as stated above make sure you see this fish eat. They are known to be picky eaters. Another thing I want to tell you is it is about a 50/50 shot that he will eat aptasia. I know multiple CBB that do NOT eat aptasia. Another point as I read above is the yellow tang will harass for the first few days but also as stated above that should be done after a few days. Wish you luck! If you have any questions about disease I will tag @Humblefish and @eatbreakfast can answer any additional questions regarding behavior of the CBB
Good info, thanks!

OP
OP
lou dog420

lou dog420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I do not have a quarantine

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MY CBB eats like a beast. I feed all my fish Larry's. We do get all of the finicky eaters feeding on live black worms before weaning them onto standard frozen preparations. My yellow tang was not happy when I added the copper band, but the copper band is smart enough to get out of the tangs way. Black worms can be purchased from many fish stores, they are used allot if the fresh water hobby. Most people keep them in the fridge and rinse them daily.

Back