Adding a copperband butterfly

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by lou dog420, Apr 19, 2017.

1. bblumberg

bblumberg Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Natural is better, in my experience. If you don't do a perfect job with Aiptasia-X, there is a big risk of causing an aiptasia explosion.

Bruce

BluewaterLa likes this.

2. lou dog420

lou dog420 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Well I finally got me a copperband. A week ago today I added a purple tile gobie, and a copperband butterfly to my DT. My thoughts were that by adding 2 fish together that it would lessen the beatdown that the copperband would take from my yellow tang. Well, it didn't!! But, the copperband is still alive, actively eating, and appears to be very healthy. The first 2 days he really took a beating from the tang, but the aggression seems to be fading slowly day by day. I will say that I have not seen the copperband eat any of the foods Im feeding, but he is actively hunting out little featherdusters and worms on the reef. I hope he will eventually start to eat prepared foods.

3. cracker

cracker Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

My Yellow tang did the same. I gave it a day & night & that was it. The yellow is in the QT for an unspecified period of time ! Lou Dog can you get some oyster? chowder clams can be found at a fish market. just freeze it 1st & finely chop .Coppers love that ! Gotta get her to eat.

lou dog420 likes this.
  4. lou dog420

Thanks for the info. Yes I can get some, my daughter actually works at a seafood market. I will give that a try.

cracker likes this.
  5. lou dog420

What about scallops?

6. cracker

cracker Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I'm sure scallop would work just fine. However long term ( I mean over the years) , I'm with Paul B they need the whole animal, gut & all. That's why I like whole oyster & clam. I haven't tried black worms.

You can try some mysis crammed into a rock crevice t hey are used to eating out of the rocks. This can mimic their natural feeding routine.

lou dog420 likes this.
  7. Kmsutows

Kmsutows Well-Known Member

Definitely try live black worms. And with the clam I would suggest putting it in the tank on the half shell first. Copperbands pick from things so they won't readily take from the water column. Start with the open clam and then can try it frozen chopped.

cracker and lou dog420 like this.
  8. lou dog420

I wanted to name him cooper, but my son insisted on Spongebob! ! Lol photo.JPG photo.JPG

cracker likes this.
  9. lou dog420

Well my new CBB is doing very well and has settled in nicely. The only thing that really sucks is that he is eating my acans, and picking at my lobo. My one acan that was one of my favorite corals he is really tearing it up, pretty upsetting.

Draft saved Draft deleted