Adding a copperband butterfly

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost did do that. But I wanted to try the "natural approach". First with berghai nudibranchs-which failed because I think the aiptasia were too big at this point. Then I got the butterfly and it's doing great getting rid of them.

Believe me I was very close to buying aiptasia x.

Natural is better, in my experience. If you don't do a perfect job with Aiptasia-X, there is a big risk of causing an aiptasia explosion.

Bruce

OP
OP
lou dog420

lou dog420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I finally got me a copperband. A week ago today I added a purple tile gobie, and a copperband butterfly to my DT. My thoughts were that by adding 2 fish together that it would lessen the beatdown that the copperband would take from my yellow tang. Well, it didn't!! But, the copperband is still alive, actively eating, and appears to be very healthy. The first 2 days he really took a beating from the tang, but the aggression seems to be fading slowly day by day. I will say that I have not seen the copperband eat any of the foods Im feeding, but he is actively hunting out little featherdusters and worms on the reef. I hope he will eventually start to eat prepared foods.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Yellow tang did the same. I gave it a day & night & that was it. The yellow is in the QT for an unspecified period of time ! Lou Dog can you get some oyster? chowder clams can be found at a fish market. just freeze it 1st & finely chop .Coppers love that ! Gotta get her to eat.

OP
OP
lou dog420

lou dog420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Yellow tang did the same. I gave it a day & night & that was it. The yellow is in the QT for an unspecified period of time ! Lou Dog can you get some oyster? chowder clams can be found at a fish market. just freeze it 1st & finely chop .Coppers love that ! Gotta get her to eat.
Thanks for the info. Yes I can get some, my daughter actually works at a seafood market. I will give that a try.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure scallop would work just fine. However long term ( I mean over the years) , I'm with Paul B they need the whole animal, gut & all. That's why I like whole oyster & clam. I haven't tried black worms.

You can try some mysis crammed into a rock crevice t hey are used to eating out of the rocks. This can mimic their natural feeding routine.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely try live black worms. And with the clam I would suggest putting it in the tank on the half shell first. Copperbands pick from things so they won't readily take from the water column. Start with the open clam and then can try it frozen chopped.

OP
OP
lou dog420

lou dog420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to name him cooper, but my son insisted on Spongebob! ! Lol
photo.JPG
photo.JPG

OP
OP
lou dog420

lou dog420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my new CBB is doing very well and has settled in nicely. The only thing that really sucks is that he is eating my acans, and picking at my lobo. My one acan that was one of my favorite corals he is really tearing it up, pretty upsetting.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back