Adding a Freshwater Forum to R2R?

How would you feel about a freshwater section being added to R2R?

• (Top two options will mean you want it feel free to change your answer if you didn’t notice that)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im interested in planted tanks and reef2reef seems to be the best aquarium forum by far so i dont see why we / they shouldn't expand into freshwater as well as long as it is two sections otherwise it will get confusing

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

There’s a reason I’m broke now...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that would be a good idea ! I just changed my 90 gallon over a while to Malawi cichlid tank and I have a 80 gallon rimless mixed reef tank .i just didn’t have time to do 2 reef tanks ...
Nice a cichlids tank

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2R could have a section that is completely unrelated to the saltwater forums except maybe the selling/trading forum that everyone can use. If it gets added I think we should also not do too many sub forums within the forum so it doesn’t get too messy

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd be cool with it! Lots of us have both tanks. I never mind learning and drooling over other people's tank pics!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool idea! Might be worth a shot! Who all in here runs both? I know @d2mini and @Reefing Madness both have freshwater tanks.

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool idea! Might be worth a shot! Who all in here runs both? I know @d2mini and @Reefing Madness both have freshwater tanks.
I ve had experience with both and if it weren’t for a faulty fluval pump, i would have both right now. Unfortunately all I have are a 60 gallon and 15 gallon freshwater right now though i am definelty going to get another reef. I could help with both foums

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure I will offend some people so I will apologize in advance, but I really don't want to see freshwater content cluttering up the forum - already there is talk of freshwater moderators, freshwater for sale ect. This is a reef forum.

Sure some people may convert to saltwater, but by that logic some of the saltwater people may convert to freshwater?

Growth in forum for good content is good, but off topic growth is not the same thing.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm sure I will offend some people so I will apologize in advance, but I really don't want to see freshwater content cluttering up the forum - already there is talk of freshwater moderators, freshwater for sale ect. This is a reef forum.

Sure some people may convert to saltwater, but by that logic some of the saltwater people may convert to freshwater?

Growth in forum for good content is good, but off topic growth is not the same thing.
All opinions are valid, my friend. You've at least raised some points we'd need to consider. :)

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote no not out of any malice or false superiority, but mostly for simplicity's sake.

If there was a way to stay totally separate... no harm, but might as well just start a new forum then.
Otherwise, I see only potential for confusion on any range of issues from substrate to nitrite, to lighting.

So many of your hits come from google. I'll do that occasionally if looking for just a quick answer. Very real potential of google search "aquarium, tapwater?"

Result:
R2R - "sure, tap water is acceptable in a tank as long as you use the appropriate dechlorinator............."
Unless they click all the way to the forum :(

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It could be in a completely different sectin

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be in a completely different sectin

Why even have it on reef2reef then? Why not just start pond2pond or whatever you want to call the freshwater forum? If you are going to go to lengths to separate them, perhaps they should be separate?

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why even have it on reef2reef then? Why not just start pond2pond or whatever you want to call the freshwater forum? If you are going to go to lengths to separate them, perhaps they should be separate?
Hmmm true. But it could be kept separated easily just by doing you know when you click forums and it takes you to a list? That should be called Reef Forums and another one Freshwater then the trading and selling could be the same and also the giveaways and announce,ents

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be great if it was added either as a different site or a different block of forums. I don’t think it should be integrated directly with this site just because that’s so much information that not all reefers are interested in. Ironically, I have a small gold fish tank from what kids win at fairs and I was actually looking for a forum yesterday to ask some questions about better husbandry for them and thought about r2r incorporating fresh water. I would definitely enjoy a site like this.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted no as well. There are many forums and sub forums on RR already as is, and people are discussing all the topics all over the place. Folks are posting topics in wrong forums (see this one as an example) and are flooding reef sub forum with topics that dont belong there.

Add to that that you have staff members posting non reef related threads inside reef forum as well, and it is quickly becoming a mishmash of epic proportions. Adding freshwater to already cluttered forum will make it that much worse, as no one is paying attention to where they post, and staff arent moving threads to proper locations.

I have nothing against freshwater forum, but do it as a completely separate entity, with it's own webpage and so on.

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be great if it was added either as a different site or a different block of forums. I don’t think it should be integrated directly with this site just because that’s so much information that not all reefers are interested in. Ironically, I have a small gold fish tank from what kids win at fairs and I was actually looking for a forum yesterday to ask some questions about better husbandry for them and thought about r2r incorporating fresh water. I would definitely enjoy a site like this.
We could separate them completely but stay on the same site

A/C or D/C, What’s Your Preference?

• A/C

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • D/C

Votes: 58 63.0%
  • Both

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 13 14.1%
Back