Adding a new clown

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 100g mixed reef and had 2 saddle back clowns hosting a large bta. I lost my female clown about a month ago after having her for about 3 years. The male seems to be doing ok with his mate gone but I was wondering if I would be ok to add another clown in with him? If I do does it have to be another saddle back or can any clowns be compatible? I'm assuming I need to add a smaller one and he will become the female? Let me know what you guys think!
IMG_20191203_214849.jpg

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry about your fish. I know they are our finny babies.
I currently have a 90 with three clowns. They all arrived at different times and all three are different.
My Saddleback is the dominant female. We call her Glub and she is definitely the tank bully. She is almost 4" now. The other two are a typical "nemo" and a "Snow Storm" - white fancy fish. I'll be adding a Davinci when I transfer everyone to the new DT. I expect that Glub will establish herself as the boss there also.
You have the advantage that your male has not transitioned yet. I think so long as you introduce a new one that is similar or preferrably smaller, they will figure out the pecking order and one will become the female. Don't expect your male to give up him nem though. I think you can go with something other than a Saddleback and be fine. Truly, I have three different ones and there has never really been a fight.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss.

Yes you can absolutely add another clown. Technically if you add a female soon enough, that'd be fine. But kinda risky and may just be fsr easier to add a smaller male, so your current one turns female.

Same species probably would work best, yeah.

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss.

Yes you can absolutely add another clown. Technically if you add a female soon enough, that'd be fine. But kinda risky and may just be fsr easier to add a smaller male, so your current one turns female.

Same species probably would work best, yeah.
Thank you! Its been about a month since we lost our female so I don't know if that's soon enough or not. It may be hard for me to get my hands on another saddle back that's why I was curious if I could add another kind or maybe just be a one clown tank =P

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I do does it have to be another saddle back or can any clowns be compatible?

Oh and to answer this question, so far people have only been successful keeping percula and ocellaris together and having them breed in their aquarium.

I have mismatched individuals three times, the most recent a cinnamon and ocellaris, and they are getting along great. :D

So I guess technically you can keep two individuals of different species together, but whether or not they'd actually pair up and breed is a different story.

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and to answer this question, so far people have only been successful keeping percula and ocellaris together and having them breed in their aquarium.

I have mismatched individuals three times, the most recent a cinnamon and ocellaris, and they are getting along great. :D

So I guess technically you can keep two individuals of different species together, but whether or not they'd actually pair up and breed is a different story.
Thanks again! Yes I don't expect them to breed but hopefully live in the nem together at least.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back