Adding a T5 retrofit kit to canopy

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to figure out the best way to install a T5 bulb and reflector in the front of my LED fixtures.

I cannot install the reflector/bulb on the ceiling of the canopy because my large LED fixtures will block a part of the T5 light. I am bringing the reflector down to the LED level, but I need to add a support since the reflector is 60 inches long and my canopy is 72 inches long.

Do any of you have any good idea for supporting the reflector/bulb?

Would a treated 1 x 2 x 6 lumber supported with L-brackets be okay? Should I look for a long aluminum bar/channel to go across the canopy? I suppose that I can use a aluminum screen window frame like this:
browns-tans-saint-gobain-adfors-frames-parts-fsp8492-u-64_1000.jpg

Here is a couple of pictures of my canopy with its clam shell lid flipped open. The fans can be removed since they are not used at all.

aqdc2%+1RtqDaF9SfYyG+g.jpg KCg0PPIvRf2ncpecv%g4pA.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to figure out the best way to install a T5 bulb and reflector in the front of my LED fixtures.

I cannot install the reflector/bulb on the ceiling of the canopy because my large LED fixtures will block a part of the T5 light. I am bringing the reflector down to the LED level, but I need to add a support since the reflector is 60 inches long and my canopy is 72 inches long.

Do any of you have any good idea for supporting the reflector/bulb?

Would a treated 1 x 2 x 6 lumber supported with L-brackets be okay? Should I look for a long aluminum bar/channel to go across the canopy? I suppose that I can use a aluminum screen window frame like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Saint-Gobain-ADFORS-5-16-in-x-84-in-White-Aluminum-Screen-Frame-Piece-FSP8491-U/100397093?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|D29A|Multi|NA|PLA|Major-Appliances|Special-Buys|71700000032418849|58700003842365800|92700030987191770&gclid=CjwKCAiA5qTfBRAoEiwAwQy-6TKuv7PwiHHEytd3mUhETb-Neq_fYFRypePUqglhCflpPVmmwxpcUhoCJp8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Here is a couple of pictures of my canopy with its clam shell lid flipped open. The fans can be removed since they are not used at all.

aqdc2%+1RtqDaF9SfYyG+g.jpg KCg0PPIvRf2ncpecv%g4pA.jpg
Can you suspend it with a hooks added here?
upload_2018-11-12_8-48-28.png

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd try to do it with hooks like Brew12 suggested and suspend it with short pieces of chain.

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, hanging it with chain sounds okay with me. I did not think about putting hooks on the wood. Unfortunately the cross member is not going to work since the vertical supports on the clam-shell lid/front door come down to rest on them. However, I think that I can use longer pieces of chain to make it work.
Thanks guys!

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be putting it up on Saturday. It's been rather hectic this week.
I am going to use just one bulb although the ballast is for two bulbs. My ballast does not come with instructions for one bulb. However, I checked another two lamp ballast and found a connection diagram for one bulb setup. For one bulb setup, it looks as though I only need red wires and blue wires to go to the ballast, and no yellow wire is needed. I suppose the yellow wires that are used for a two bulb setup are there for connecting two bulbs in parallel and keeping one bulb lit when the other one dies. Am I wrong?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be putting it up on Saturday. It's been rather hectic this week.
I am going to use just one bulb although the ballast is for two bulbs. My ballast does not come with instructions for one bulb. However, I checked another two lamp ballast and found a connection diagram for one bulb setup. For one bulb setup, it looks as though I only need red wires and blue wires to go to the ballast, and no yellow wire is needed. I suppose the yellow wires that are used for a two bulb setup are there for connecting two bulbs in parallel and keeping one bulb lit when the other one dies. Am I wrong?
Electrically, that makes sense. Not sure about the colors but I have seen these with a hot for each bulb and a shared neutral.

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to mount the light by end caps. There is no fixture to speak of. It's just two end caps, a bulb, and a reflectors with two bulb clips.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, then spacing the end caps can be kinda tricky. Make sure that you get them close enough together that they hold the bulb tight. If the bulb is loose it can spark and burn the end cap and the pin on the bulb (had it happen).

Why are you only using one bulb? You can have one in the back and one in the front.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to mount the light by end caps. There is no fixture to speak of. It's just two end caps, a bulb, and a reflectors with two bulb clips.
Do you think that will be stable enough? I'm not sure how solid the reflector is, but it might make sense to get a 1/4" thick piece of wood the proper length to mount the light fixture to.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that you should mount the end caps to something rigid although if you have a clip on reflector you may be able to get by with just hanging the end caps but I wouldn't want to try it. It would be too easy to bump it and knock one end loose.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. I can mount the end caps on a piece of wood or something.
My end caps are the bulkier water-tight ones. They comes with separate plastic bases for attaching them to canopy with screws. The reflector is the Miro-4 clip on type.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would mount the end caps to a narrow strip of wood and suspend that from your chains. That will allow you to get the precise spacing between end caps for the bulb to fit properly.

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the one bulb or two bulbs guestion, I really don’t have enough space in the back due to two six inch fans sticking out into the back of the canopy. I will double check, but it looks difficult.
Why are you only using one bulb? You can have one in the back and one in the front.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 134 59.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 80 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.1%
Back