Adding a young foxface to a 75g?

hbubley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!
So my tank has been hit by the bubble algae. In researching clearing up the bubble algae I started researching foxface fish and am kinda in love with them now. I'd like to add one to my 75g reef tank (planning on upgrading to a 150 by end of year), but would love to hear some first hand experience from y'all.

My biggest concern right now is overloading my tank or aggression occurring.

Current Tank Occupants:
- 2 clown fish
- 2 dragonets (ruby and target)
- 1 white tail tang
- various CUC hermits and snails.

Please let me know your thoughts :)

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the bubble algae I would introduce some emerald crabs and they will make short work of it. As for the fox face if the display is 75g (not the whole system including sump) you would be ok with a one spot fox face which grows a little smaller than a fox face lo.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I did the same and my bubble algae where gone in NO time.
The fox is pretty easy and shy so I didnt see him acting weird or so.

They grow very fast though!

So far ive had no problems

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxfaces are usually gentle giants. Tangs can try to mess with them, but when the foxface shows it the dorsal spines, that will likely end it. So hopefully that's how it goes for you.

I added a large foxface to a tomini and scopas in a 125 that had been in there several years. The 2 tangs tried to show their dominance, but backed off within a day or 2.

A 75 is borderline too small, but if you're serious about upgrading, it will be fine. As mentioned, they get big and grow quickly.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too small for a 75g, but as long as you upgrade, then it should be fine. Mine won’t touch bubble algae and I have it all over the tank.

OP
OP
H

hbubley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the replies!! I kinda want one now regardless of if it clears the algae or not hehe, I'm getting so attached to the idea of them the more I research 'em.
I am very serious about the upgrade, I will definitely do it by January if not sooner.

OP
OP
H

hbubley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update, got my fox face fish and I'm already in love. I had to call around and drive out pretty far to find a 3in baby. But finally got a hold of a little guy yesterday! All my bubble algae is already gone hehe.
My white tail tang is kind of being a dick to him, hoping he can hold his own and I didn't go too small.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine doesn’t touch bubble algae. They grow dast ni bought mine 1 year ago and he’s doubled in size. Gentle giants but can be tanks and knock things over because they are so skittish. Mine has knocked off torches all the time.

Manual removal and emerald’s are the best way to manage. What i did and have none.

To add i have a one spot in a 90. He’s getting big.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the replies!! I kinda want one now regardless of if it clears the algae or not hehe, I'm getting so attached to the idea of them the more I research 'em.
I am very serious about the upgrade, I will definitely do it by January if not sooner.
I love my one spot, and as others have said, those spikes end all aggression from other fish in my tank and I got him very small.

OP
OP
H

hbubley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys :) Makes me feel better knowing he'll be okay in this tank while I wait to upgrade.

I'm so into this fish, he's adorable. So scared of everything right now though. He's still color changing to black pretty frequently but I've seen him eat so I'm less worried. Won't touch the nori I put in there yet though, he's hiding behind the filter.
I love my one spot, and as others have said, those spikes end all aggression from other fish in my tank and I got him very small.
How long did it take yours to warm up to the new home? Was he pretty skittish as a baby

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys :) Makes me feel better knowing he'll be okay in this tank while I wait to upgrade.

I'm so into this fish, he's adorable. So scared of everything right now though. He's still color changing to black pretty frequently but I've seen him eat so I'm less worried. Won't touch the nori I put in there yet though, he's hiding behind the filter.

How long did it take yours to warm up to the new home?

about two weeks

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How long did it take yours to warm up to the new home? Was he pretty skittish as a baby
About 4days
I have a Clarkii who runs the tank. He went after the fox for 2 or three days but got nowhere with the spikes now they hang out together. These guys do grow fast!

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did it take yours to warm up to the new home?
Ten months and still waiting. He hides from me, the wife, the TV...

He's grown quickly, and is an enthusiastic feeder - as long as nobody is watching. Wretched creature that he is. Cost me 48 quid.

OP
OP
H

hbubley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I super appreciate all of your responses!! Don't know how people did this hobby before the forums hehe.

What are some of yours favorite foods? I'm doing PE calanus in the morning (mainly for my dragonets), spirulina infused brine in the afternoon, and mysis shrimp at night. With nori being available daily. Wanna fatten this kid up :)

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I super appreciate all of your responses!! Don't know how people did this hobby before the forums hehe.

What are some of yours favorite foods? I'm doing PE calanus in the morning (mainly for my dragonets), spirulina infused brine in the afternoon, and mysis shrimp at night. With nori being available daily. Wanna fatten this kid up :)
He will be 2x his size in months you keep feeding like that :squinting-face-with-tongue:

I scare mine off so he eats less.

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine eats anything. Mysis are a favourite - he'll take mysis from my fingers if I keep really still. Chopped razor clam, cockle, mussell, pellet, flake, Ocean Nutrition Angelfish food, nori, spinach, lettuce, and probably much more.

OP
OP
H

hbubley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, might have to slow down on my feeding. I think I started feeding too much while trying to fatten up my now fat white tail. I'll try and slow it down hehe.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine eats anything. Mysis are a favourite - he'll take mysis from my fingers if I keep really still. Chopped razor clam, cockle, mussell, pellet, flake, Ocean Nutrition Angelfish food, nori, spinach, lettuce, and probably much more.
Same. But his bite hurts sometimes :squinting-face-with-tongue:
He’s our favorite in our tank.
IMG_9739.jpeg

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my foxy.. got him the size of a half dollar..started him in a 55 gal and in less than a year already 6inches but ive upgraded to 180 since..I have a 1 spot Eats everything and anything and full of personality. Congrats on the awesome purchase!! Nobody messes with his spines. I mean nobody! Lol. Well I did purchase this one powder brown tang who was almost the same size (i dont know what his problem was) lol and decided he wanted to analyze the spines and try to pick at different parts but the fox was so quick the tang knew better than to make any sudden moves. First pic is bby fox. 2nd is the big boy now.

Attachments

• 20220706_143447.jpg
    20220706_143447.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20230427_121429.jpg
    20230427_121429.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 29
  • VID_43801229_231547_120.mp4
    17.1 MB

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.5%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.0%
Back