Adding Barnacles to a New Tank

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had researched barnacles too when setting up my new tank. Ended up not having room for any, but wish I did. There are folks that sell them as household decorations and others that sell them as tank decorations. The household ones typically use some form of glue to hold them in clusters and the glue is not tank safe, like from hot glue guns. As long as you by them from a saltwater shop you should be ok, but make sure to ask if they are man-made clusters or natural and if they’re glued together ask what they used to glue them.

OP
OP
katonge

katonge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. The pieces I bought are relatively small and I looked closely and don’t see any spots that look like they were glued.
When you did your research did you find any info on curing them or sterilizing them before adding them to the tank?

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not. I made a list of places that sold them that I was gonna call to see who had the biggest cluster available. My plan was to just rinse/soak and shake them in RO for a day or two. I thought about adding a little bleach, but thought that might strip the color off the barnacles.

All this talk of barnacles has me wanting to make room for some in my tank. Wish I didn’t scrap the list I had. Where did you end up getting yours from?

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was given mine I just boiled them. It’s a practice I would do for wood or rocks from people for my fresh tanks, and figured that boiling the barnacles would kill any nasties. I’ve had no issues from them since.

OP
OP
katonge

katonge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not. I made a list of places that sold them that I was gonna call to see who had the biggest cluster available. My plan was to just rinse/soak and shake them in RO for a day or two. I thought about adding a little bleach, but thought that might strip the color off the barnacles.

All this talk of barnacles has me wanting to make room for some in my tank. Wish I didn’t scrap the list I had. Where did you end up getting yours from?
I got mine at a store in Tarpon Springs that sells them to hold tillandsia. But someone said they have them on eBay.
I did soak the others I had in bleach and it did was the color out.

OP
OP
katonge

katonge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was given mine I just boiled them. It’s a practice I would do for wood or rocks from people for my fresh tanks, and figured that boiling the barnacles would kill any nasties. I’ve had no issues from them since.
That makes sense. I didn’t even think about that. I soaked them in saltwater overnight, but maybe I will give them a little boil this morning.

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine at a store in Tarpon Springs that sells them to hold tillandsia. But someone said they have them on eBay.
I did soak the others I had in bleach and it did was the color out.
The ones I was finding on eBay were decorative and had glue that I didn’t trust. I was gonna go with the ones Reef Cleaners has, but didn’t get around to it. Thinking I will now though.

Do you plan to add any specific fish that’d use them? I want a couple Barnacle Blennies, but fear they’ll get bullied by the established fish I already have.

OP
OP
katonge

katonge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok have been looking up posts on different forums and it seems there a few blennies and gobies that uses them. If they are likely to get bullied maybe I ought to add them first?

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok have been looking up posts on different forums and it seems there a few blennies and gobies that uses them. If they are likely to get bullied maybe I ought to add them first?
That’s the best route to take. They’re shy little guys until they get comfortable with who’s in the tank with them so adding them first lets them establish there home without fear.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never boil anything that has been in the ocean. Doing so could aerosolize any organics on it (including toxins) which could be dangerous. I would also worry about it damaging barnacles as they are fairly fragile.

Barnacle blennies spend almost their entire lives perched in their barnacle or hole in the rock looking out at the world. They dart out to grab food and back in a flash! I call them the fastest fish in the ocean for 1 foot. They have amazing personalities and are a delight to keep. I have two panamic barnacle blennies in my nano and 2 eyebrow barnacle blennies in my 72x24 DT. Here's a short video of my panamics at feeding time. Hard to see the barnacles well from this angle due to the zoas over running them.

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never boil anything that has been in the ocean. Doing so could aerosolize any organics on it (including toxins) which could be dangerous. I would also worry about it damaging barnacles as they are fairly fragile.

Barnacle blennies spend almost their entire lives perched in their barnacle or hole in the rock looking out at the world. They dart out to grab food and back in a flash! I call them the fastest fish in the ocean for 1 foot. They have amazing personalities and are a delight to keep. I have two panamic barnacle blennies in my nano and 2 eyebrow barnacle blennies in my 72x24 DT. Here's a short video of my panamics at feeding time. Hard to see the barnacles well from this angle due to the zoas over running them.

That’s it!! I’m sold!! I can see the barnacles in the reflection. So cool!!

OP
OP
katonge

katonge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I love those. They are so fast!

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having a new/used Red Sea 260 set up tomorrow and would like to add some barnacles. How do I make sure they are safe to be added to the tank?
[/QUOTE]
I had a cleaner wrasse that used them, all my other fish are too big. My jawfish does like hiding under them and my lion perches on them. I bought them from my lfs and just rinsed them before adding them, I find that soaking them in water with just a little bleach once a month keeps them looking clean without washing out the color.
59791575-68FB-4602-A8F8-79E418DB02F9.png

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daughter @VKP01 made a tank for her barnacle blennies. I tagged her so maybe she will post a picture :)

We picked up a bunch of barnacles after the hurricane moved through a few weeks ago. Still deciding on what to do with them.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lawnmower blenny loves her barnacle.
964E2434-18A3-4003-8A5B-8D9157A580E2.jpeg
7372B0DB-EB62-40CD-8E73-081787B39A57.jpeg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 161 73.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 36 16.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back