OP
OP
katonge

katonge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be ok if I I used marine safe epoxy to attach some smaller pieces together?

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s some pics from my barnacle blenny setup! The barnacles are from a local beach, I let them dry out completely, scrubbed them with a tooth brush and hot water, then boiled them. Didn’t damage the barnacles at all, they’re pretty sturdy. They’re secured to the rocks with aquarium safe silicone. They’ve held up really good and the barnacle blennies love them! They seem to prefer the smaller ones
30A99971-4596-423E-AF2B-D8A415DF20E6.jpeg
621C64FD-BB05-42DB-938B-3CE408C6693F.jpeg
A6E45003-E8F9-4274-924E-20A8FD3B7EC9.jpeg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would never boil anything that has been in the ocean. Doing so could aerosolize any organics on it (including toxins) which could be dangerous. I would also worry about it damaging barnacles as they are fairly fragile.

Barnacle blennies spend almost their entire lives perched in their barnacle or hole in the rock looking out at the world. They dart out to grab food and back in a flash! I call them the fastest fish in the ocean for 1 foot. They have amazing personalities and are a delight to keep. I have two panamic barnacle blennies in my nano and 2 eyebrow barnacle blennies in my 72x24 DT. Here's a short video of my panamics at feeding time. Hard to see the barnacles well from this angle due to the zoas over running them.

Agreed. I'd be concerned about boiling anything that's been in the ocean

stezlaki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I'd be concerned about boiling anything that's been in the ocean

Boiled shrimp? :oops: But yeah, point taken!

In a past tank we had a cluster of barnacles and our Lunar Wrasse would go in and out of one of the barnacles - HOW he fit, I have no idea, because it didn't look possible - he looked WAY too big. I kept thinking he'd wedge himself in there somehow and get stuck folded in half or something, but he never did. Was pretty entertaining to watch him go in/out, though.....

Ms. Joanne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not. I made a list of places that sold them that I was gonna call to see who had the biggest cluster available. My plan was to just rinse/soak and shake them in RO for a day or two. I thought about adding a little bleach, but thought that might strip the color off the barnacles.

All this talk of barnacles has me wanting to make room for some in my tank. Wish I didn’t scrap the list I had. Where did you end up getting yours from?
You can get barnacles from amazon; they are natural and the give you a choice of clusters.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back