Adding Diamond Goby..Can I Quarantine it without sand?

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am buying a Diamond Goby to my Display Tank. All fish thus far have gone through a 6 week QT..30 days of Copper and 2 weeks of PraziPro. My question is what should I do with a Diamond Goby? Does it need to be quarantined? Do I need to add a bowl of sand or something to the QT tank?

Any advice is appreciated. I want to make sure I don't introduce any disease to my existing DT..Thanks

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if it “has to be” QT’d but I would probably put a Tupperware dish of clean sand in the QT so it has a place to dive into while it’s getting blasted with copper, etc.
Other people have more experience with QT than me, but my memory is that gobies are not very copper tolerant. Let’s see what the board says!
Love this goby myself but I don’t have sand:( so I don’t have one myself. :)

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have qt a a few watchman gobies with copper. Just put a small dish of sand in the qt tank and test your copper level to make sure the sand isn’t absorbing too much of it.

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added 2 blue spot gobies to my tank. I chose to treat with metro and prazi during the 8 week quarantine. I did give them a little dish of new sand and they burrowed in it.

On a side note if you have fine sand in your tank you will most likely have cloudy water for the first couple weeks the goby is added to the tank.

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use Sand from my existing tank or do I need to buy a new bag of sand?

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use Sand from my existing tank or do I need to buy a new bag of sand?
I use Silica sand - play box sand - as it will absorb less Cu. have used this successfully with wrasses in QT - just keep on monitoring the Cu levels with a Hanna

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have qt a a few watchman gobies with copper. Just put a small dish of sand in the qt tank and test your copper level to make sure the sand isn’t absorbing too much of it.
I too have QT'd with Cu Watchman and Neon gobies without problem - failed with sand sifter/Diamond gobies who found the smallest crack in the top of the QT tank - never settled in the sandless tank with only a dish of sand

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I use PlaySand -- Silica from Lowes/Home Depot, do I need to rinse it first or do anything else?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 95 44.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 100 46.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 21 9.7%
Back