Adding Eurobrace to rimless tank. Help!

907reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I just picked up a used Cadlights Artisan 100 gallon setup. I'd like to add a eurobrace to help with water sloshing in the event of an earthquake. The problem is this tank has a fairly large INT overflow. Does anyone have experience with eurobracing with an interior overflow or maybe some drawings of how to make it look good?

IMG_0206.jpg

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Do you have many earthquakes in your area?
I'm not sure this is a totally great idea.
Last time my area had a fairly strong earthquake ( 6.8) I did get a fair amount of water on the floor, wall, ceiling.
Moved both my tanks about a 1/2". A eurobrace would have done nothing for me.
But I just don't see much benefit.
IMO you may just make a mess of a nice rimless tank.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did it to a custom 90 i got used it was really easy to do

OP
OP
907reefer

907reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have many earthquakes in your area?
I'm not sure this is a totally great idea.
Last time my area had a fairly strong earthquake ( 6.8) I did get a fair amount of water on the floor, wall, ceiling.
Moved both my tanks about a 1/2". A eurobrace would have done nothing for me.
But I just don't see much benefit.
IMO you may just make a mess of a nice rimless tank.
I live up here in Alaska... The guy I bought it from lost about 20 gallons in the 2018 7.1 earthquake we had. My thought process is that adding a eurobrace rim will give some resistance to sloshing water.

I've talked with a couple companies about possibly adding a locking acrylic lid to possible mitigate some of the water loss but haven't seen anything worthwhile yet.

I'm not looking for more structural integrity per say, just trying to limit the large amount of water that could end up on the floor since a rimless tank has no way to stop a wave.

on the other hand if we have another large earthquake (7+) I'll have much bigger things to worry about in my house since its been through the '64 earthquake and the 2018 ;Blackeye

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no. I haven’t even thought of the poor reefers who get earthquakes.

I live in an area that gets yearly hurricane seasons. Sometimes the hurricanes hit us, sometimes not. I’m worried that I’ll lose power. 2 weeks ago the generator didn’t come on when we had a 1 hour power outage (that never happened before, generator always comes on). It really made me wonder how little control I actually have. All my redundancy with my plumbing, but with no generator…is pointless. :(

So much can go wrong it’s scary.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I live up here in Alaska... The guy I bought it from lost about 20 gallons in the 2018 7.1 earthquake we had. My thought process is that adding a eurobrace rim will give some resistance to sloshing water.

I've talked with a couple companies about possibly adding a locking acrylic lid to possible mitigate some of the water loss but haven't seen anything worthwhile yet.

I'm not looking for more structural integrity per say, just trying to limit the large amount of water that could end up on the floor since a rimless tank has no way to stop a wave.

on the other hand if we have another large earthquake (7+) I'll have much bigger things to worry about in my house since its been through the '64 earthquake and the 2018 ;Blackeye
So you do live in an area that does have earthquakes.
So maybe for the milder slow rollers a 4" or so eurobrace might limit some water loss. Maybe a good screen top would also add protection. Until the big one hits.
I was about 30 miles from home when our 6.8 hit in 2001. Once we all gathered and everyone was accounted for ( many near misses that day at the Centralia Steam Plant ) they let us go home.
The entire drive home I was convinced my 180 gallon tank and my 135 gallon tanks were on the floor, in pieces.
I expected to see water coming out from the front door of my house.
But fortunately I was wrong. Everything was still standing.
I did loose 20+ gallons out of each tank. All the circuits were tripped. Water on the back wall on both did that.
What for the life of me is I can't figure out how the ceiling in my dining room and living got wet. 2' above the tank tops

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Southern California and growing up in earthquake country, I or my father never worried about tank spillage from a quake. I went with If there is shaking to where the water is sloshing out, I've got bigger things to worry about. Like is the house coming down, lol.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back